2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to set the satnav on an ex gt so that the route I have set shows the speed limit of the road I am on. I have read it can be done but can't see how to do it.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Not sure where you read that, but sorry its not a feature of Honda Navigation Systems.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Confusing link... Mentions features of both SD and HDD navigation units. The SD may have it, but its a Pioneer based system whereas the HDD is Alpine. Maybe someone with the SD will confirm this feature?

·
Registered
429 Posts
It is automatic on the ES-T satnav. A speed limit picture appears on the bottom right of the sat nav screen. It really is very useful and very accurate. Mine changes instantly for example when moving from a 40mph to a 30mph zone.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
It is automatic on the ES-T satnav. A speed limit picture appears on the bottom right of the sat nav screen. It really is very useful and very accurate. Mine changes instantly for example when moving from a 40mph to a 30mph zone.
Interesting... and pics?

·
Stage 3 Hybrid
6,223 Posts
Does anyone know how to set the satnav on an ex gt so that the route I have set shows the speed limit of the road I am on. I have read it can be done but can't see how to do it.
So, you can't read road signs ? :confused:

·
Unofficial Trader
1,295 Posts
The thread starter never said they could not read road signs. It is a good feature to have on a sat nav and also a polite reminder. We have all been on roads where we saw 40mph and then it changes to 30mph and then 20mph and sometimes the mind plays tricks on us and a quick glance on the sat nav system would remind you what the "speed limit" is.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The thread starter never said they could not read road signs. It is a good feature to have on a sat nav and also a polite reminder. We have all been on roads where we saw 40mph and then it changes to 30mph and then 20mph and sometimes the mind plays tricks on us and a quick glance on the sat nav system would remind you what the "speed limit" is.
Exactly. Thanks.:)

·
Stage 3 Hybrid
6,223 Posts
If you're relying on your satnav to tell you what the speed limit is, then you ain't paying attention to road signs ! Probably missed the last speed limit sign 'cos you were paying too much attention to your satnav.

They are a useful aid, yes, but they ain't infallible. They're only as good as the programme that they're loaded with.

I'm a professional driver and I use a professional satnav, and road maps, but I pay most attention to road signs.

·
Administrator
21,236 Posts
There are many situations where your not sure. Areas with speed signs are fine but those roads without signs could be 50 or 60 or 70 depending on the type of road.

Some limits are, or used to be, determined by the distance apart of the street lights. Who can work that one out when concentrating on the road!

My Garmin shows the prevailing limit and I have used it on the occasions when I'm just not too sure.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just asked the original question as the sat nav on the new civic doesn't appear to show the road speed. As said it is a good thing to give you some reassurance. I have been driving for over 45 years and covered many thousands of miles in the UK and Europe and having sat nav built into the cars I have had over the last 10 or more years they have all had road speed built into them. It is just a shame if the new Civic doesn't have that feature that's all. :)

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
+1 I drive a lot in Europe especially Slovakia and road speed signs are rare (cops are not - very little crime, so catching speeding motorists keep them busy lol). So the feature would be useful... As I tend to have tomtom running on my iphone when there as it has this feature.

Funny how the HDD and SD have different features... You would think the HDd would have the same plus more as it is supposed to be the better unit. Ok it has premium sound, trip computer, DVD player, turn by turn on imid but the SDs weather and road speed features are prob more usefull.

·
Administrator
21,236 Posts
I had the SD version on my shortlist until I found out that you can't make a handsfree call with it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The sat nav unit on the es-t displays the speed limit on the road you are driving on. It also makes a sound when the speed limit changes. You access this from the 'other' setting within the sat nav menu.

·
Registered
429 Posts
This is from the SD manual:
"Generally the icon shows the speed limit of the current main road where a speed data is supplied by a map database. When a speed data was changed, the numerals on the icon are changed and the indication blinks​
for a few seconds."

I have not found any setting where it beeps - for me it just blinks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts