2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
-Thor-
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a little roadtrip around Norway and Sweden this July. If anyone want to recommend places or events along the way I should check out, feel free to tell me. I not the number of scandinavian members on here isn't that high, but any input would be welcome.

I'll be starting and finishing at the top of the map (city of Tromsø). I have 4 weeks off work from June 20th, and only one set place that I need to be along the route.

Map Water Ecoregion World

·
Registered
80 Posts
We did a Norway Road trip a few years ago although we got a ferry from the UK to Stavanger and only made it as far North as Alesund. We were based in Olden on Nordfjord near the Jostedalsbreen National Park (worth a visit, also Briksdal glacier) so we tended to do daily car drives before heading back to Olden. Although we did a few days camping too.
We're both into amazing scenery so most of our trip involved visiting National Parks, glaciers, fjords, mountains and waterfalls. We weren't that interested in cities so I guess it depends what you like.

Some of the roads that spring to mind were Geiranger-Trollstigen with it's Trolls Ladder.
Aurlandsfjellet Route which has an amazing viewing platform high up over the fjord.
Also the Songnefjellet Route which has spectacular scenery. In fact all of what we saw of Norway was spectacular, a beautiful country!
Also some excellent driving roads!
If you're heading from the north I presume you'll go via the Atlantic Road? Unfortunately we never managed to fit that in during our time there.

If you've not looked already this site has good info, there's also a route planner in the map area. Extraordinary scenic roads through Norway - Norway official travel guide - visitnorway.com

I suppose I might as well put up my youtube stills from our visit. :)

·
-Thor-
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips.
Having lived in Norway all of my 32 years, I've never done any of the "tourist" things in my own country. I'll definitly give Trollstigen and Geiranger a shot.

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
The Höga Kusten area is worth seeing I have been told (not been there myself yet).

Other than that, how about going a bit more inland in Sweden?
For example, cutting through Dalarna rather than just taking the E4 to Stockholm.

If you are stopping over in Stockholm, then the old town and the archipelago are worth seeing.

There is a nice little motor museum in Köping which you appear to be passing.
Bil- och Teknikhistoriska Samlingarna

If you PM me your e-mail address I can send you my Excel spreadsheet for the Northern Sweden road trip I am doing this summer.

Also, I can recommend the book "Upplev Sverige", ISBN 978-91-7424-153-2

·
-Thor-
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll probably be passing through Stavanger before July 6th since I have to be in Larvik at the 7th.

Tapatalked from my DHD

·
-Thor-
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great! I'll try to visit the car museum. Thanks for the info!

Tapatalked from my DHD

·
9,228 Posts
I'll probably be passing through Stavanger before July 6th since I have to be in Larvik at the 7th.
Well, there is the Sand Volleyball championship, held right in the town centre - lots of fit females, in minimal bikinis, getiing all hot and sweaty ...

SWATCH WOLD TOUR ConocoPhillips Grand Slam Stavanger 2011 – Volleyball | June 27 – July 3 (although cancellation is rumoured) ...

Other than that, there doesn't seem to be anything in early July - just be a 'Beer Tourist' for a day or two :cool: ...

·
9,228 Posts
Don't know, really. I'm attending a wedding in Larvik 6-9th July, and after that I'll be heading for Oslo and Stockholm.
I've done pretty much the whole route you are talking - just not all in one annual trip ! - you've got a serious amount of driving time in Norway, but hugely less in Sweden ...

--------------------------------------------------------------

This year, I'm avoiding Norwegian roads as much as possible (so slow !) - taking a ferry almost from my doorstep, to Denmark (Hirtshals) and thence the European Motorway \ Autobahn system - yippeee kay yeay ! ...

My itinery for this year ...

--------------------------------------------------------------

My Schedule / Countdown to JAE and the "Sale of the Century" ! ...

It's busy, but easily doable - unlike last year, which at times (due to some piss poor planning on my part) was the Journey to Hell :( ...
  • 25 Aug. to 26 Aug. : Ferry - Stavanger to N. Coast Denmark
  • 26 Aug. to 27 Aug. : Drive from Denmark to French Ferry Port
  • 28 Aug. _________ : Channel Ferry and begin the drive North
  • 28 Aug. _________ : Visit [Bog] (Pete) for some Electronics
  • 28 Aug. _________ : Continue driving North, to The Midlands
  • 29 Aug. to 30 Aug. : [ABP Motorsport] for "Modathon 2012" !
  • 31 Aug. to 02 Sep. : A whole 3 days off ! - yippeee kay yeah
  • 03 Sep. to 04 Sep. : Premier Tuning / [F6HAD] for ECU Remap
  • 05 Sep. to 06 Sep. : [Magic] / Matt for some 'Primo' Detailing
  • 07 Sep. to 09 Sep. : JAE 2012 - Norwegian 'goodies' & "Sale"
Then I actually get some time off ! - visit Family in Scotland - buy lots of Black Pudding & Square Sausage & Scotch Mutton Pies, plus some proper Aberdeen-Angus Sirloin & Rib Roasts - NUMMY ! ...

Thence, the journey home again ...

·
-Thor-
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks like you've got a great trip planned, JDR. 03-04 Sep. looks especially interesting. :)

·
-Thor-
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got back home last night after 13 days and 4627 km on the road. I had to change the original route a bit, and spent way more time than planned in Sweden and on the Åland Islands. Even though I had to ditch the western part of Norway, I still had a great trip. The car performed beautifully, and didn't cause me any major worries.

·
9,228 Posts
Looks like you've got a great trip planned, JDR. 03-04 Sep. looks especially interesting. :)
Well, me too ! - the ECU Remap comes after ABP do a bunch of upgrades / modifications - so, I'm hoping for a decent (by 1.8 standards) improvement in BHP / Torque / throttle response

I'll be writing a full Blog about the trip

Got back home last night after 13 days and 4627 km on the road. I had to change the original route a bit, and spent way more time than planned in Sweden and on the Åland Islands. Even though I had to ditch the western part of Norway, I still had a great trip. The car performed beautifully, and didn't cause me any major worries.
Sound like you had a good trip mate - and yes, unless you are in NO hurry, stay out of Norway as much as possible !!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts