2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
181 - 200 of 228 Posts

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Thanks. :)

My TE37's are 7.5 x 18 ET48 so very close to OE specs (those factory speedline wheels above are 7.5x18 ET50).

I run the rays with 5mm slip-on spacers on the front, so effectively making them ET43, and 17mm bolt-on spacers on the rear so effectively ET31.

That spec fits great with no rubbing - you could prob go a couple of mm wider but not much - that's pretty close to the limit of what will fit without bodywork mods.
Thank you, much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
282 Posts
Nice looking car, white really suits the tourer. I have a grey tourer and was wondering if it’s meant to have these black plastic parts that hang down either corner of front bumper. I don’t see them on yours, I guess as yours is lowered they would scrape at any slight bump!

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Mine are missing too, never been there since I have owned the car. Like you say I'd imagine they fall off as only clipped in with plastic clips

Cheers

·
Registered
282 Posts
Ok thanks that’s good to know. I’m wondering if Honda stopped fitting them or didn’t include on the tourer. I only noticed yesterday whilst doing gearbox oil change as had to remove the undertray, and there were the fixing points for them which are similar to my 2006 civic that had them. Like you say though prob only get scraped!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Rob, just read through your entire topic, you made quite a nice set of improvements! I was actually looking for advice on adding support springs on the rear of my Tourer, since it sits way too low under load (bike carrier/trailer/full of luggage) imho. I ended up at MAD suspension, who offer heavier replacement springs for the rear, or a complete set which lowers the car by 35/30mm (F/R). I like the idea of lowering it (for the looks), but I'm afraid that the extra stiffness in these springs will only compensate for the lower suspension travel and not (enough) for preventing the sagging rear.

While writing this post, I'm suddenly wondering whether you may have the self-levelling suspension on the rear and thus have no issue with this phenomenon at all :unsure:

Anyway, maybe you have a clue on suspension stiffness of your Eibachs? FYI, this is what mine looks like during holidays :censored:

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
Hi @StalenSnuitje

Thanks for your positive comments about my car and mods :)

My car has adjustable dampers at the rear so i can set between comfort, normal and dynamic damping but this does not have any impact on the ride height.

I load the car up with 4 passengers, 2 big dogs, luggage, roof box etc and yes the rear sags. The eibachs are stiffer than stock springs though so the "sag" is less than i got with the original suspension, and withi the front being lower it does not look as bad as your car, but yes the sag is something i'd like to fix. The car still drives great even when fully loaded, no negative effect at all from the low rear (i put the dampers in "dynamic" always though with heavier loads as this seems to control the weight better).

I have bought, but not fitted yet, some rubber spring assisters - these are cheap and simple and fit between the coils of the spring. Only cost £12 quid so worth a try. If these don't work then i may look at some sort of air bag assister for the rear.

This is loaded up with luggage but no passengers:
Middle Beach by Rob E, on Flickr

This is same day, all the same luggage on board but also with 2x 35kg dogs in the boot and two teenage kids in the rear. the suspension in the rear is about 1" lower.

Untitled by Rob E, on Flickr

This is the assister i've bought - i will try this out at some point this week:

18-28MM RUBBER COIL SPRING AID SUSPENSION ASSISTORS CAR/TOWING CARAVAN/TRAILER | eBay

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 ·
The wheel arch trims and scuttle on my car are all faded, with the scuttle being the worst (i guess its in direct sunlight all of the time where the arches are sometimes shaded.

I've bought some of this stuff:

CERAKOTE Ceramic Trim Coat Kit - Quick Plastic Trim Restorer - Guaranteed Restoration to Last Over 200 Washes – A Ceramic Coating, Not a Dressing: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

I'll get a coating on this week and post up the results. I know a better fix is probably painting them but i don't really want the expense - this has to be worth a punt at 21 quid first right ? :)

Great video here showing how the different products work over time (thanks @jbradsonp for the link)

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
CERAKOTE Ceramic Trim Coat Kit - Quick Plastic Trim Restorer:

This stuff turned up yesterday. Great day for doing this sort of thing, nice and warm :)

Really easy to use, remember to was with a non-wax soap first, fully dry. I masked off the trims first to make the application easier. This is a coating so you don't want to get it on anything else. In hindsight i should have either removed or masked the wiper blades as i got a few touches on them, but i don't think this'll show too much. The effect on the black plastic is fantastic though, really transformed. Looks brand new now lol :)

This is my rear arch before applying the coating. This is the worst one, really faded and grey, most likely due to the effects of diesel drippage from the filler overflow:

wheel arch trims - BEFORE
by Rob E, on Flickr

And here's the same arch a few minutes later, looks transformed:

wheel arch trim - AFTER
by Rob E, on Flickr

This shows the scuttle in progress. You can really see the difference:

Scuttle - in progress
by Rob E, on Flickr

The claim on the box is that it lasts 200 washes - that should be a very long time for me i think. Good news is I only used half of the wipes that come in the kit so i have enough for another treatment if necessary, most likely the day before i sell the car :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Rob, thanks for the quick reply. I decided to get the stiffer rear springs, makes quite a difference. Yes it stands slightly higher at the back, but it's not bothering me too much as the wheel is nicely in the center of the arch. I can notice that when riding over speedbumps the initial squat is much less.

(And yes, it needs a good cleaning :censored:)

By the way, funny you mention the faded plastic parts, you can see in the picture mine has the same issue. I use boiled linseed/flaxseed oil for that, works great!

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
Headlights - again..

About this time last year i got a kit off ebay to refurbish my tatty headlights. This included a series of different grades of sandpaper, polish and sealant - you basically sand and re-polish the lenses with a pad in an electric drill. Although it looked good initially after 12 months there was a noticeable fogging on the lens.

I did some more research and found some good reviews of the ARMORALL Headlight Restorer wipes. Tried these out on my wife's little delivery truck and they work really well, so i got a set for the Honda.

V easy to use, you just scrub the lens with the first wipe to clear off any old coating or oxidisation, then cover with the sealant impregnated in the second wipe. Only takes about 10 minutes and no tools are needed.

Hopefully this will last longer than a year but tbh if you had to do this once a year (£8 quid) its not really the end of the world. :)

Armorall
by Rob E, on Flickr

·
Registered
Honda Civic MK9 2015 Facelift 1.6 I-DTEC
94 Posts
Headlights - again..

About this time last year i got a kit off ebay to refurbish my tatty headlights. This included a series of different grades of sandpaper, polish and sealant - you basically sand and re-polish the lenses with a pad in an electric drill. Although it looked good initially after 12 months there was a noticeable fogging on the lens.

I did some more research and found some good reviews of the ARMORALL Headlight Restorer wipes. Tried these out on my wife's little delivery truck and they work really well, so i got a set for the Honda.

V easy to use, you just scrub the lens with the first wipe to clear off any old coating or oxidisation, then cover with the sealant impregnated in the second wipe. Only takes about 10 minutes and no tools are needed.

Hopefully this will last longer than a year but tbh if you had to do this once a year (£8 quid) its not really the end of the world. :)

Armorall
by Rob E, on Flickr
Hey Rob, do you have a full image of the front of the car?
Really intrigued what the front looks like with the blackened fog light skirts.

Thanks
Brad

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
Hey Rob, do you have a full image of the front of the car?
Really intrigued what the front looks like with the blackened fog light skirts.

Thanks
Brad
i'm not much of a photographer (as you can see). all my honda pics are in this album on flickr: Honda

this is prob the best pic showing the front - before any modding so stock height etc .. :)

tq
by Rob E, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 ·
A couple of updates;

I bought some cheapo rubber spring assistors to see if i can limit the amout of "droop" i get when fully loaded. Worth a try for 9 quid off ebay:
18-28MM RUBBER COIL SPRING AID SUSPENSION ASSISTORS CAR/TOWING CARAVAN/TRAILER | eBay

They slip in easily with the car up on axle stands/ rear axle hanging. Can't really notice them at all in normal driving, not had the car loaded yet just me on my own. I'll post some fully-loaded pics next time we do a trip away. I think they may have added a smidge to my ride height when empty, not much maybe 5mm or so. I can live with that.

Spring assistors
by Rob E, on Flickr

And.. headlights - again :rolleyes:

I've done some researching on upgrade to OEM twin-led units, like the type r and ex-plus had from the factory. Cox sells these for £386 per side:
Genuine Honda Civic Type-R FK2 Left Side Headlight 2015-2016 - 33150TV0E51 - Cox Motor Parts

There's an incomplete thread by @G10 where he kindly lists the wiring harness and plug you need to make these work, but he only gets as far as lighting them up on his garage floor. @Chronotjai has also fitted a set of these and they look great.. BUT for uk MOT i think you're going to get a big fat fail unless you fit the automatic ride height sensors and adjusters - the type r and ex-plus don't have the scroll wheel for lowering your beams when you have a full boot, it auto adjusts off the sensors. You'd need one sensor mechanism per corner plus the loom to connect these up and even then i suspect they wouldn't work unless you code the ecu so it knows that they are fitted.. these corner sensor units are 45-50 per corner used as far as i can see. So.. near 800 for the lamps plus likely another 200 for sensors, and you have no guarantee it'll all work, or pass an mot.. :(

That's ruled out then.

I have not wanted to play around with led bulbs or hid kits in my halogen lamps previously as i don't want the hassle of mot fail/ swap over every year but on a recent twilight trip in the car i was literally cursing the lack of light - every oncoming vehicle on a twisty country road seemed to have nuclear level laser beam headlights that made it very difficult for me with my regular yellowy halogens.

So, i took another look at the led option - my bro' has a set of these fitted in his cayman and its passed mot with them in place, no issues. @mylesjohn shared a link to some on ebay which i bought - worth a try for £20 quid.

2X H7 LED Headlight Kit Car Bulbs 60W 10000LM High Low Beam Bright Headlamp UK | eBay

I swapped the first one over on sunday - its a right pain on the civic, really is very little room and i have a bunch of cuts on my hands now, but its in and works great, good beam, fits well, good quality and no canbus issues. The other side i removed the battery to get more access only to find that the headlamp has some damage and it looks like the previous owner repaired with some silly putty or pasticine - i'm amazed its not come adrift before but its now in bits.. grrr.

I've ordered a replacement headlamp (cox, £230 quid) and whilst i'm at it, i actually got the other side too. Even though i've tried polishing etc its still no where near as good/ clear as a new unit so i bit the bullet and bought both. Should have them later in the week - will be good i think with two new lamps and new led bulbs in both.

So, this weeks spend in total is £9 rubber blocks, £20 led bulbs, and £460 on two headlights... on a car that doesn't really go anywhere at the moment :unsure:

·
Registered
6 Posts
@rob.e I hope you are doing well. I love the attention and way you have set up your Civic!

I currently drive a MK9 1.6 DTEC and thought of the Bilstein Eibach combo too. How is it like driving it on roads with road calming measures like speed humps? Do you need to crawl over them?

Also, for daily driving, is there actually noticeable difference with the combo and the stock set up? BMW 1 series owners tend to say a Bilstein B12 combo for their cars makes A LOT of difference (more stable, better road handling, not floaty). Does the combo make a huge ton of difference for normal driving?

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·
I slow down for speed bumps whatever i'm driving but no you don't need to slow to a crawl :)

Yes the bilstein/eibach combo is a bit firmer than stock but it's still a comfortable car. I found the oem suspension stiff and crashy, ok at 80k miles the dampers were shagged and the oem 18" wheels are pretty heavy which doesn't help - i much prefer the ride/handling with the upgrade. As you say above, yes better handling, not floaty, stability - its a really good setup.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
That's a blow about the headlights mate, hopefully all sorted and up and running soon

Cheers

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #199 · (Edited)
Two big boxes arrived the other day from cox, and two massive, new shiny headlamps inside:

shiny
by Rob E, on Flickr

:)

I managed the swap over without completely removing the bumper, as long as the sides and the top are all undone you have enough wiggle room to get the lamps done.

headlamps replace
by Rob E, on Flickr

headlamps replace
by Rob E, on Flickr

@Haltamer 's guide on here for removing the bumper was helpful, thanks buddy.

Top tips; buy some new plastic rivet trim clips before you start - you going to breaks some. Also have some super glue handy - one of my headlight carriers had a broken bracket, fixed before refitting. Also, get a packet of elastoplasts handy - you'll need these too :)

My old lamps are knackered so will go to the tip but i have harvested all of the spare bulb clips and cover plates for my spares stash.

Massive difference in now with the crystal clear lenses and the new led bulbs.

·
Registered
FK8 Type R & FN2 Type R
1,118 Posts
Just got my car at the weekend, 1.6 I-DTEC SR tourer pearl white.

After many years of company cars i've opted out and bought my own vehicle. Co car tax is just so much these days it really isn't the perk it used to be. Need the space of the tourer for kids / dogs etc and i need something fuel efficient as i have a 100+ mile round trip most days.

I'm a serial car modifier, pretty much everything i've had has had wheels/ suspension tweaks. Mostly in the past that's been around performance, but for this car the goal is something that's going to minimise my fuel bill (hardly exciting i know but needs must).

The car:
2015 Tourer SR spec, so heated leather, factory nav (honda connect?), dual climate, parking sensors all round, adjustable rear dampers, reverse camera, elect lumbar and bolsters, rear tinted windows.

I believe there was only one spec level higher than this in 2015 (EX plus?) which got led lights and keyless go - not bothered about the keyless but i would have liked the better lights but no biggie. Might look at better bulbs maybe?

Mine has OEM front spoiler, side skirts and rear diffuser plus 18" nitrogen wheels.

I have a full set of winters on my oem wheels which i'll keep on the car until the spring. In the mean time i'll look to buy a second set of rims for the summer, hopefully something super light and strong - i'll get some summer tyres on these and swap over spring/autumn.

I've got a set of Eibach Pro springs on order (-30, -15mm) and will also get hold of some Bilstein B8's to fit on the front when these go on (original dampers are ok but at 87k miles they won't last much longer i expect). I'll keep the OEM rear dampers though as these are the SACHS CDC adjustables which have a pretty good rep.

Also looking to get a re-map done at some point, once i've got the initial suspension costs out of the way. Looking like Celtic tuning (309lb ft!) is the way to do for this?

Some pics i took last night. Will post some more when the eibachs are on.

tq by Rob E, on Flickr

rear by Rob E, on Flickr

Untitled by Rob E, on Flickr

dog photobombing:
dog by Rob E, on Flickr

Honda by Rob E, on Flickr
I must say thats one good looking car! Never seen or knew they came in anything but the hatchback. It's really eye-catching 👌

181 - 200 of 228 Posts