2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
221 - 228 of 228 Posts

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
So one of my Rays was starting to look a bit tatty - just one weirdly, maybe i didnt' prep this one as well or give it as many coats of paint when i did my drive way/rattle can refurb two years ago.? whatever, it was annoying me and needed to be sorted out.

I also had lost one of my centre caps, and tbh the remaining 3 were looking nasty anyway - original rays caps are sillly money so i'd just got some ebay knock offs (yes that's right, real rays forged wheels with fake caps lol) but not only were they prone to falling off the red "RAYS" lettering in the centre had faded to pink.. you get what you pay for i guess.

I didn't have any of the original anthracite/gunmetal paint left from the original re-furb but i did have a couple of cans of some slightly lighter grey left over from another car project - made sense to use this.

This is not what i'd call a proper re-furb, just a quick clean of the rims, mask and a couple of coats from the rattle can as a quick fix. Looks ok i think? New ebay flat caps simplify the look a bit. TBH I think i preferred the darker look but hey at least they look tidy now.

Car is due a service this week and will need rear discs and pads too, plus i don't know when it last had a fuel filter so that's also on the list. I will be starting to travel more (2 days per week back in the office) from Oct after 18 months of covid wfh so i want the car to be set up / ready.

before:

tired rays
by Rob E, on Flickr

in progress:

rattle can dark silver
by Rob E, on Flickr

fitted up (just dropped off the trolley jack not settled yet):

Untitled
by Rob E, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
So my office has said we're now expected to come in twice per week, so that's the end of my 18 months of wfh and the car will be getting a lot more use going forward.

It's due its 137k mile service and a few other bits and bobs needed doing so it had a trip into my local independent chaps for sorting.

I don't have a record of when the fuel filter was last done (its meant to be every 2 yrs i think?) so i got this done at the same time, plus my rear pads were thin and disc were showing signs of wear and although i'd usually do that sort of stuff myself it looked like the filter change was a ramp job so it just got the chaps to do it all. 200 quids worth of labour and just shy of 300 in parts/ fluids - its a chunky bill but hopefully i'm set up now maintenance-wise for the next year or so.

New rear discs and pads:

new rear discs
by Rob E, on Flickr

..yes my nuts look very tatty - i have some new genuine rays nuts coming soon hopefully.

Also popped on a new oem wiper set:

new wipers
by Rob E, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 ·
Any thoughts on changing the head unit?
I'd love to - if there was an off-the-shelf option that gave you apple car play and maintained all of the oem functionality thats only accessible via the honda head unit i'd be very happy to change. Unfortunately all the research i've done (and many others on this forum) it doesn't look like there are any easy options, so for now i'm staying with the factory unit.

TBH i only use it for playing music (and it's not very good at that either tbh) as i have a magnetic phone mount next to the oem screen and i use that for navigation. The phone uses real-time traffic info (either apple or google maps /whatever your preference is/ waze etc) which is

The honda unit is a wierd size (not a double din) so you'd need a new facia or hack your existing unit, and with all the aftermarket options i've seen you'd lose the ability to change the time (clock). This wouldnt' be a problem if the time was only shown on the HU but its not, its shown in the imid display and can't be switched off in there. It would drive me mad to have that wrong with no way to change. You'd also lose access to some info that only gets displayed on the HU, like the full fuel stats. Some others on here have had issues linking up reverse camera and s/w buttons - i'm sure it those could all be done but is it worth the hassle? I don't think so.

I did get the HU upgraded to latest o/s when i first got the car to see if that made it any better / faster - nope. Just as slow and sh*t as it was before, and the dealer who did the upgrade messed it up so i was without a HU entirely for about a month while it went back to honda UK for a re-set - after that debacle i gave up on the HU (and never went back to the dealer either lol).

If someone finds a solution i'm all ears :)

221 - 228 of 228 Posts