2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day all.
Im having a problem with my 2.2 that ive had for a while now, but its really starting to bug me.
Ive got an 06 2.2 ictdi. 140k on the clock...
And the ride quality is horrendus. It feels as though the car doesnt have any suspension. Every little bump, pot hole or anything of the sort shakes the whole car, its incredibly unconfortable.

Ive driven two of my mates civics, same engine but 08 plates and theyre great. Slightly firm as it expected from a civic but overall great and fairly comfortable.

What could be the issue with mine? The shocks arent leaking and seem to be ok. Ive pushed down the corners and theres no excessive bounce. What else can it be?

·
Administrator
18,080 Posts
The dampers are shot pal, mine was exactly the same with less miles than you. Mine didn't leak either and stood up to the push test, they must wear internally and leak damping fluid between chambers.

It was so bad that I ended up weaving down the road to avoid ANY imperfection in the road surface!

If I were you, then I'd change the read dampers first as they tend to wear first. They are cheap and easy to do and see how much the ride has improved.

If you still feel there is room for improvement, then do the fronts.

Fresh dampers will make the world of difference in promise you, especially at your mileage.

You might also consider firing different springs, there are plenty of threads on that.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Dampners for sure are a good place to start. How long have u had it?? As I've lowered mine with the Eiback pro kit and now it feels like riding in a shopping trolley. I wonder if yours has been lowered to stiffer suspension before u got it?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The dampers are shot pal, mine was exactly the same with less miles than you. Mine didn't leak either and stood up to the push test, they must wear internally and leak damping fluid between chambers.

It was so bad that I ended up weaving down the road to avoid ANY imperfection in the road surface!

If I were you, then I'd change the read dampers first as they tend to wear first. They are cheap and easy to do and see how much the ride has improved.

If you still feel there is room for improvement, then do the fronts.

Fresh dampers will make the world of difference in promise you, especially at your mileage.

You might also consider firing different springs, there are plenty of threads on that.
Well that actually brings me some relief knowing I wasn't alone. I'll get to that ASAP and let you know how the ride improves

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dampners for sure are a good place to start. How long have u had it?? As I've lowered mine with the Eiback pro kit and now it feels like riding in a shopping trolley. I wonder if yours has been lowered to stiffer suspension before u got it?

I've had the car for 2 years now. It's was 100% stock when I bought it so I doubt it's got aftermarket springs. But I will try and check

·
Administrator
18,080 Posts
Have you changed your anti roll bar bushes at all? They're cheap/quick to swap out and can soften the ride.

I changed all by bushes to harder Polybush items and gradually reverted back to OEM. The ARB's made one of the biggest differences to the ride and noise.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you changed your anti roll bar bushes at all? They're cheap/quick to swap out and can soften the ride.

I changed all by bushes to harder Polybush items and gradually reverted back to OEM. The ARB's made one of the biggest differences to the ride and noise.
Honestly I'm my mechanical knowledge is not too great. I recall changing one roll bar after an MOT once. But that's about it...
I'll change the rear dampers first. And I'll let you know the results. And then you can advise me from there lol.

·
Premium Member
5,227 Posts
Change the dampers.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Good plan, there are a couple of things it can be, all relatively cheap and simple to do. Dampners are definitely the best place to start, plus with that mileage the new ones should see u nicely to over 200k :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright so I go the rear shocks replaced and honestly they didn't make the huge difference I was hoping for. Only very slightly softer.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts