2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning when I started the engine of my 9th Civic I immediately noticed that the idle speed was lower than usual and less than a second later the motor management warning sign popped up.
I tried to restart the engine several times hoping that I would wake up from this bad dream, but alas, to no avail…
While driving to my work I also sensed that the engine was lacking power and wouldn't go above 2000 rpm, I pulled over, opened the bonnet to have a look and found that the cable leading to the mass air flow sensor was completely chewed off. I've heard some stories about rodents chewing their way under the bonnet but I never expected that it would happen to me as I live in the centre of town.
Fortunately the cable had some slack so I was able to repair the 5 conductors by using a soldering iron, some heat shrinkable tube and a piece of insulating tape. Engine power was back to normal but the motor management warning sign is still popping up, I hope this will go away after a few 'power cycles' or do I need to take the car to the dealer to reset the ECU?

·
i-Vtec
2,533 Posts
Most EML's reset themselves after a few restarts once the fault has disappeared, but no need to take it to a dealer a decent code reader should be able to reset the fault code. Not sure if the Bluetooth ones that sync to your phone can do it or not, maybe others can advice on that.

·
Administrator
18,079 Posts
Gawd, that's grim. Well done identifying and fixing it tho

Which reminds me, we have family on the Belgian coast and one of their cars had wires chomped thru a few summers back. They've since fitted some gizmo that scares off the critters, it makes me jump at times too

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If interested, this is how it looks when a rodent (probably a stone marten) uses your engine compartment as a diner table :

Believe it or not but Honda USA even has a countermeasure available as a spare part:

·
Enjoying life
8,559 Posts
I've dealt with rats in a loft but not in a car. They are clever gits, I won in the end though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts