2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Don't know if i'm speaking for all CTR owners, however recently I've been left disappointed with the rolling performance of the FN2, I don't know if its because my car is down on power...as it seems to drink quite a bit of Oil...around 250ml every 500 miles or so.....and I get a strange whistling noise around 3-4k RPM...

But I've had a couple of scenarios where I have not been able to pass or close to even not keeping up with most mediocre cars when accelerating onto the national speed limit...

Cars such as Hyundai V6 coupes and Astra Diesels.... is it me, or is it just off the line and cornering where the CTR out performs?

are there any rolling road sessions at TDI- North so that I can see what the car is making?

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
First things first what oil and grade are you using, when you go a for a prolonged drive are any wheels noticeably hotter after

When did you last have a gear oil change? Tyre pressures correct etc etc

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
5w40
Nope, no bindind breaks, however my rears do smell really bad after a drive in the wet, but wheels ain't hot no.
Gear oil should be as per service
Pressures are 35f 32r

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
depends really.. Max I can get is about 36mpg, but that's between 60-70mph indicated

also would a service see me any gains? it's due a 5th year and also I'm gonna get the valve clearances checked, due to it being low miles, it's not been done

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
that seems ok to perfect tbh, Valve clearances seem to stick ok until you swap cams and then they need routine checking and setting from my own experience.

Can you drag against another type R

I know its dodgy and totally illegal

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you know what this whistling sound maybe? it kind of appears in line with revs, maybe a very slight delay, so revs go from 3-4k and a whistle/whine is apparent, sounds like these new minis where it's like an electronic whistle.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what if there was a air leak in manifold etc? I've had the pulleys looked at a while ago and they are all apparently ok. Belt was changed also.

At last service, I didn't check the oil for a month, service manager came out and said that the oil level was below the minimum, but I didn't see any oil light and Vtec worked fine, this noise was apparent before this though, maybe about 4 months prior that I really noticed it.

If the engine is worn are there any signs? or any tests?

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
If there was an air leak the car would be very lumpy and hunting for idle etc.,

You should check oil at every petrol top up - if you dont - you deserve a bill.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used to check every fortnight, however it has always been fine and since it was due for a service, I left it about a month.

Is there any checks I can do or any symptoms to notice for an unhealthy engine?

idle is fine

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lol, it's screaming at me when I put it to Vtec, I'm sure it doesn't like it cos it's not running as fast as the other kids in the play ground lol...

my last car's engine went kaput...a corsa at 80k miles

·
UKDM
779 Posts
Daft question but you are ringing its neck when your doing these little tests?

If your starting out not in VTEC your gona loose, always drop a gear rather than wait for a type R to come on cam

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
When I first got my CTR, it felt so slow and struggled to keep up with the sportier turbo diesels. Then I got Flashpro and loaded the standard group N (engines stock) and it feels so much faster - doesn't have any problem easily out pacing them now. I dont know if anyone else feels the same? Have to run the datalogger on Dashcommand when it's in race track mode on the two maps to see if there is any difference.

Of course with your higher oil consumption and whistling, you may have a fault.

·
Registered
905 Posts
You must be in the wrong gear, if your out of the vtech your going to be left cold by most cars. Hynundi coupe V6's are quite torquey low down, my mate has one. If your in the correct gear in 2nd you would waste him. In terms of standard performance mine made 217.2 bhp and 154.2ibs so produces a lot more than a standard car. The Fn2's produce more power than quoted as standard.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts