2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone yet managed to find a non-Honda set of roof bars (or roofrack) to fit the 2006 Civic. It hurts to think of paying £275, when they are usually half that for good ones

I've contacted Thule, and they say a fitting kit will be available sometime ( as in possibly a few weeks)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. Thule seem to have moved quicker than I expected from their response to my query. I'll go with this, because I already have most of the necessary bits so I think it's just the new fitting kit at £25.00.

FWIW, the other responses I got from various manufacturers etc were:

Thule: No Customer Services email, so message sent to PR address. Replied after second email. Response to a phone call suggested that they would probably make a fitting kit sometime, possibly in a few weeks.
Not encouraging. I wouldn't use them if I hadn't already got most of the bits

Halfords: email to their Customer Services(!). Got an auto responder promising a reply in 5-7 working days, valuing my custom and appreciating my patience! Final response - Don't bother us, go to your local store.
With service like that, not likely!

The Roof Box Company. Auto response, but no reply.

Mont Blanc: Rapid response, apologised for not having a suitable solution, but said one would be available after the summer.
Maybe nothing available, but handled correctly

Automaxi: quick response. Their Silverline bars will fit. (this is from memory - I seem to have deleted the email)

Conclusion: I'll buy the Thule fitting kit, because (for me) it's by far the cheapest option. But from anywhere but Halfrauds or the Roof Box Company.

Otherwise from Mont Blanc (when available) or Automaxi, because they took the trouble to reply.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Bummer!

I couldn't get any response from Thule as to when Civic bars would be ready so I went and bought
the Honda base kit (which was only £160 by the way). Didn't see this post until 2 days later!!!

Still, I fitted them myself and they fit perfectly and are very secure. My Thule bike carriers fit on to
them perfectly too so I'm happy.

cheers
Roger

·
Registered
10 Posts
Roger Harris said:
Bummer!

I couldn't get any response from Thule as to when Civic bars would be ready so I went and bought
the Honda base kit (which was only £160 by the way). Didn't see this post until 2 days later!!!

Still, I fitted them myself and they fit perfectly and are very secure. My Thule bike carriers fit on to
them perfectly too so I'm happy.

cheers
Roger
Just for the record, I rang Thule today and I was told the THU1416 Fitting Kit which is required to fit the standard foot kit & bars to our Civics, will not be in the country for another two weeks, "but I can't promise", I was told! Great when I'm going on holiday in three weeks and I need this kit to be able to take all my gear with us. I see me having to fork out for a Honda one before long....

Also, to let you know, the THU575 Cycle Carrier shown in some Thule catalogues is now no longer available and has been replaced by the THU530 which at approx £45 was £5 dearer than the one it replaced. Halfords, however, still list the THU575 on their system and it is shown as a pack of two and the price as I recall it is aprox £49. Good value me thinks. Don't know how long it'll be like this. While stocks last I suppose.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you want to carry up to two bikes and their front wheels and saddle posts are fitted with quick release fastners, by removing same allows you to fit both bikes side by side inside the civic. I have made a fork support using 10mm dia tube from B&Q and some angle which sits in the boot well and locates in the front fork dropouts. One strap accross the top tubes from the anchor points makes everything nice and secure, despite the cars firm suspension.

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
Can you post some pics?

·
Kids use a lot of space
806 Posts
I saw a Civic with roof bars and a box this morning whilst going to work (must be getting close to holiday time :D ).
With the nice weather I've been commuting by bike so I had a close look in traffic.
The bars didn't look very well fitted at the front with gaps under the mounts where it didn't follow the body profile, it clamped onto the roof by the doors with old fashioned style roof rack clamps (I suspect some damage will be under them).
So although the Honda bars may seem expensive I'd bet they fit a lot better than the ones I saw. Best check how well non Honda parts fit before parting with the cash, or you may end up with a bigger bill for body repair than the roof bars.

·
Registered
10 Posts
MC Hammer said:
I saw a Civic with roof bars and a box this morning whilst going to work (must be getting close to holiday time :D ).
With the nice weather I've been commuting by bike so I had a close look in traffic.
The bars didn't look very well fitted at the front with gaps under the mounts where it didn't follow the body profile, it clamped onto the roof by the doors with old fashioned style roof rack clamps (I suspect some damage will be under them).
So although the Honda bars may seem expensive I'd bet they fit a lot better than the ones I saw. Best check how well non Honda parts fit before parting with the cash, or you may end up with a bigger bill for body repair than the roof bars.
Maybe the clamps were meant for another car? Or another make perhaps. They wouldn't have been Thule because as a result of the answer I got from Thule UK (see above) regarding the delivery date of the THU1416 fitting kit, I decided to email Thule in their native Sweden to find out exactly what was going on. The reply I got from a nice lady called Anna advised me that
"Unfortunately this kit has not yet been produced and what I can see in the system it will be produced 21st of August"

Now I know for sure I won't get it before my holiday :cry:

The thing that annnoys me is that they advertise the item, provide prices for it but don't tell you that it's not available yet. The car has been out for a number of months now and to manufacture the kit towards the end of the current holiday season is crazy. I now have no alternative to purchase the more expensive Honda system. Unless anybody has any other suggestions?

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
I'm not being funny, but can't you take less luggage ?. From what I read, these boxes add a lot to your fuel bills. The boot a very large to start with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
elfa7 said:
I'm not being funny, but can't you take less luggage ?. From what I read, these boxes add a lot to your fuel bills. The boot a very large to start with.
Its not the luggage, it's the 8 man tent plus all the gear that goes with it, body boards, table, chairs etc and of course, the family. I used to have an Avensis and with the cavernous boot it had, it was no problem. You'll appreciate that the Civic boot is a tad smaller. I'll leave the bikes at home and hire some if I need to.

You're right though, I'll have to look at reducing what I'm going to take.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts