2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took me a while, but I finaly found the squeek coming from above.
I seemed coming from above the passenger head, but after a long quest, I even removed! the roofliner for a part, I simply could not find the cause.

Today I found it, it was simply the edge of the roofliner that made contact with the windscreen (about the whole richt part of the roofliner).
While driving and having the noise, I could feel the roofliner rubbing against the windscreen. I squeezed a credit card between the roofliner and the windscreen, no more noise. :D
There must be a space of about 2-3mm between the edge of the roofliner and the windscreen, so if you can insert a credit card and it stays there, you could have a problem.

Probably many windscreens are mistakenly replaced or refitted to solve this stupid problem!
I did cut a slice of the roofliner foam and the problem is solved!
If anyone need more info how to cut, please post. :D

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is about the place where I had the problem;
If it takes an effort to squeeze in the card, you could have a problem (try also other places on the screen)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Stef,
Thankyou for this information, mine is a tight fit in the corners. Can you say how the headliner is held/clipped in place ? I am looking to release the front edge and corners, plus the A-pillar trim. I am OK with the removal of the fittings (sun visor, etc.) and realise the A-pillar trim top clip has to be broken in order to remove trim.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The tight fit in the corner can give a creack sound when the car has torsion ( ex. one wheel on the cerb) this was also solved by trimming the liner (cut the liner hard foam part on the top, do not cut the fabric)

The A pillars trim can be removed by hitting the clip, I did use my hand not a hammer, to replace, romove the black clip (even if broken, it still works) and insert in the pillar hole.
Some picts. ( note this is from the glass roof version I have)
the roofline clips are so tights, you will need a special tool to remove (I have one) but is should be possible without removing these clips.
If you need more info, please ask before doing some damage!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Just to say that thanks to this information and the application of various bits of foam, Duck tape, etc., I have got rid of several creaks/rattles from around the windscreen, it is now silent. I am well pleased.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Just to say that thanks to this information and the application of various bits of foam, Duck tape, etc., I have got rid of several creaks/rattles from around the windscreen, it is now silent. I am well pleased.
could you post here a short summary what have you made exactly? :D

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Dear Stef,

Could you please provide some info on how and where you cut some foam from the roofliner?
Is it necessary to remove (and break the pin) the A-pillar plastic covering the curtain airbag?

Many thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The roofliner consists of a hard foam part and a soft (visible) fabric
It is the unvisible hard part that is touching the windscreen and makes the sound.
I lowered the roofliner partly and cut, using a sharp knife the top part.
It is indeed necessary to remove the A-pillar cover, the sun shades, the int. light and the handles. (and some very hard to remove roofliner clips)
The A pilar cover clip can be reused even if broken. It is a special clip that must be inserted first (hit by hammer hand).
If you do not want to do all of this, squeeze a bit of soft spacer between roofliner and glass, where you have the problem. I prefered to cut and to get rid of the problem completely and clean. You could ask your dealer, but most of the time it is too time consuming for them to do a good job. I did made an agreement with my dealer, If I break something while repairing a problem, I get the part for free (so far did not need to ask a part), here the dealer gets the parts under waranty for free, but the labor cost is for them, so my dealer is a happy man, and so am I.
Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
How long does it take to completely remove the roof panel? Any special tools needed? How do you remove the other pillar covers?
I would want to add some soundproofing there to reduce wind noise, but I am not sure how much work that would be. And I sure as hell do not want to end up popping the side curtains.
Cheers!

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you want to remove the roofliner completely you are in for a treat!
You will have to remove ALL plastic panels inside the car. (except door panels)
Example; To remove the top panels (like seat belt panel) you must start from the lower door trim, pillar trim and work your way up.
You must remove the COMPLETE trunck panel set, to be able to remove the rear seat belt panel. etc etc....
If you have wind noise, check the side panels in front of mirror, the lower sections can have an opening (I did had to fix this on my car).

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you have wind noise, check the side panels in front of mirror, the lower sections can have an opening (I did had to fix this on my car).
can you show some picktures,how to fix this.i have wind noise coming from the front doors just next to my head not at the front of the doors but at the end next to my head.it starts above 50/60 miles/hour ill be very pleased if someone could help me with this problem.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think you better check the door sealings and/or the windscreen trim.
In my case the windnoise clearly came for the front left or right, not from above.

"'Ik denk dat in uw geval de deur-rubber kan een oorzaak zijn of kunststof strip aan de zijkant van de voorruit, kijk of die niet loszit.'"

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,172 Posts
my seat belt positioner is ratteling and its by my ear so it starting to drive me mad! only seams to do it now and then, and come to think of it ive got a buzzing sound from the passenger door trim. oh and the shocks are now knocking.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Do you mean the plastic sealing on the windscreen sides?
I do not see the rubber sealing can get broken...

·
Registered
73 Posts
the door sealings are not good "rubbers die aan de deur opening vast zitten,niet aan de deur" ill try to make a pickture of it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts