2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
I take it this is the official Honda roof rack? And, if I might ask how much did it set you back?

I have a Thule system at present, for which I'd just need to change the footpack. However, this seems like a very neat (and stylish) solution.

What's the max. load for the roof by the way? Haven't got my Civic yet so can't refer to handbook.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is the Honda system £250. Includes the work of cutting the big gaps in the trim. They said removing the trim is a very tricky job.
It is 65kg load. You can get extra feet straps to take it up to 75kg load which is the max load of the roof. It is reasonbly quick to put on. the feet each have 2 allen bolts then the rack attaches to them with 2 allen bolts per foot then plastic cover lock over the ends. 4 keys are supplied for the covers so you can have spares everywhere. It does seem a good quality product to me I just think Honda should of made the gutter trim with sliding covers built in like other manufacturers do rather than using clip on covers.

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
Doesn't look the neatest of jobs where they have cut the trim. But I guess you don't see that.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sorry £200 for the rack and £50 for the extra straps to increase the load. I seem to of paid for both bits but only got the rack not the extra straps.
Off to see the dealer and get my £50 back!!!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I have though about getting roof bars for fitting mountain bikes to. A few cars ago I had a Clio, and I bought a rear mountin rack for the bikes. Both this gen and the last Civic cannot take the rack (bodywork is too weak) and it is a pig getting 2 bikes in and out of the boot.

Has anybody tried mounting bikes up on the roof, and how stable are they?

Am i better of getting a tow bar fitted and sticking them in a trailor?

The bars look cool by the way, I don't know why but I imagined the bars running the length of the car, that's what my dad's old volvo had. That with a few cross members...

Do Honda make a roof box to suit the Civic or are you better off going to Halfords or something?

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Could this be done for us with glass roofs?

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
kevin_lufc said:
Could this be done for us with glass roofs?
Yep you need the '08L02-SMG-601A'

FOR CARS WITH GLASS ROOF - MAX. LOAD CAPACITY = 30KG - ADDITIONAL CLAMP SET IS AVAILABLE TO INCREASE LOAD CAPACITY TO 50KG.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Bungle said:
Has anybody tried mounting bikes up on the roof, and how stable are they?

Am i better of getting a tow bar fitted and sticking them in a trailor?

Do Honda make a roof box to suit the Civic or are you better off going to Halfords or something?
I used a bike rack that fixed to the roof bars. The bike fitted upside down, with the saddle located in a holder at one end and the handlebars clamped to the rack. It worked very well. However, I suspect that the ones where the bike is right way up, the rear wheel is clamped, and the front forks locate in a holder are even more stable. This arrangement was better than the rear rack (which I've also used), because there is no problem opening the boot door.

Roof boxes are generic and just clamp to the roof bars. No reason at all for paying Honda prices. In my experience they are very effective, quieter and with surprisingly little effect on performance (and mine was a big squat affair, not the thick surfboard type).

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you want to stick with honda classic bike mount is 75 easy fit bike mount is 90 and a bike lift is 175

·
Registered
78 Posts
You can get 2 bikes in the back by lifting the seats not sure why you'd need a rack unless you were taking the family as well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I too have a Thule system so will only need a few new bits and pieces which should cost around £50. However, does the above suggest I need to get the trim on the roof modified in some way to accept a roofrack?

I don't have the car yet so can't check for myself.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yes you do there are no holes in the trim for the rack mounts it has to be cut then use clip on covers.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Great Soprendo,

I originally fitted my Thule roofbox to a Fiat Bravo. Then, when I changed my car to a Jazz, all I had to change was the Rapid Fitting Kit (£25) as the 120cm bars (going across the roof) were already the right size.

However, Thule specify that you need 127cm (part 759) bars for the Civic. So, if you already have the gutterless foot pack, but not the part 759 roof bars, you'll need them + Rapid Fitting Kit 1416.

Over and above that, there's nothing else you'll need to fit for a Thule installation.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Great Soprendo,

I originally fitted my Thule roofbox to a Fiat Bravo. Then, when I changed my car to a Jazz, all I had to change was the Rapid Fitting Kit (£25) as the 120cm bars (going across the roof) were already the right size.

However, Thule specify that you need 127cm (part 759) bars for the Civic. So, if you already have the gutterless foot pack, but not the part 759 roof bars, you'll need them + Rapid Fitting Kit 1416.

Over and above that, there's nothing else you'll need to fit for a Thule installation.
Thanks. What you say is exactly what I thought (my Thule kit for the Alfa 156 likewise means I need new bars and the rapid fitting kit), but I wasn't aware I would have to modify the gutters to make it work like TomThumb is suggesting. This is not a good thing in my opinion - extra money, plus doesn't look fantastic to have protruding covers spoiling the lines of the car for when the roof bars are not being used.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They did mine for free as I bought the rack from them. I would of thought the thule system would still require this to be done so you can access the studs to bolt it down.

You should be able to do it yourself the trim is just clipped on.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts