2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

Just got my sapphire blue fn2 and obviously it's got roof rust.

Out of experience, what's the best way of tackling this with Honda? It seems some people get it done and others don't. I have part Honda service history, which obviously isn't ideal.

Do I start by ringing Honda or going down to the dealers and get them to initiate the complaint with Honda?

·
Super Moderator
3,330 Posts
Go to the dealer in the first instance as photos will need to be taken for them to fwd to Honda etc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I went to one dealership, basically told they weren't interested and wouldn't entertain the idea (mine is a 2011 and had literally just started)
I ended up going to the actual Honda approved bodyshop and the manager kindly sorted it for me through another dealership. Iirc I think he said the cost of doing the roof through him was something like £370, but don't quote me on that!

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Having just had mine done and I suggest you go to Honda customer contact centre on 0845 200 8000 explain the situation and ask for a reference no once you have that get them to suggest a dealership near you to get it inspected and photographed quoting your reference no they will get back to Honda UK and with any luck they will approve it by the way i had full service history not all Honda ! on a 09 ctr good luck

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
I'm going to have to look into this as well. My 58 plate has rust right across the roof/windscreen weather seal and had thought they wouldn't entertain the idea!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Dohh,,,following on from this discussion, i had a very close look at mine and there are indeed some very minor signs of this issue. My car is an 09 plate and has barely done 50k miles ! Strange as the seal seems quite flexible and soft. You can press on it and it easily gives way. I bought the car from a Honda main dealer maybe 5 years back but it doesnt have SH since then. I've emailed a Honda body shop that i have previously used just to gather some info on the issue.

To me this is an inherent/manufacturing/assembly fault and has nothing much to do with SH and warranty.

Does anyone have a copy of an original document from HUK ie a service bulletin highlighting this issue please?

I bet a claim in the small claims court would win..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I just took it down to Honda having booked a slot. They took the photos etc and explained they would forward to Honda who will decide.

She did have a copy of the service bulletin which shows the the warranty is extended by a further 3 years to cover this fault, which obviously any fn2 will now be well out of, so I'm not sure how people are still getting this authorised for free!

Fingers crossed, but she didn't seem to enthusiastic that it's get authorised.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I went to one dealership, basically told they weren't interested and wouldn't entertain the idea (mine is a 2011 and had literally just started)
I ended up going to the actual Honda approved bodyshop and the manager kindly sorted it for me through another dealership. Iirc I think he said the cost of doing the roof through him was something like £370, but don't quote me on that!
I was under the impression that the problem was fixed in 2011 models. Mine is a 61 plate and I don't see any corrosion, but I have a glass roof so maybe it's not as obvious?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, just had the call, declined, apparently would require a full service history.

Can I dispute the answer with Honda UK?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How bad is it Hipwell? If it is a big problem i would write to Honda UK and try your luck again..
It's bad enough, all the way along, and considering the car is only 9 years old, not good enough.

I escalated the decision with Honda UK and they will be getting back to me in the next 10 days so we shall see what happens

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
I was under the impression that the problem was fixed in 2011 models. Mine is a 61 plate and I don't see any corrosion, but I have a glass roof so maybe it's not as obvious?
I dont think its an issue on any car with the panoramic glass roof.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The problem is guys that once you have rust it will eventually come back through when its been repaired.
Not if the body shop do a proper job of grinding off the rust back to metal, treating with an inhibitor and painting.

Unless the roof is too far gone and the rust is coming from the inside out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Still not got an answer from honda.

What would be a reasonable price to pay a bodyshop to sort this if I do not get anywhere with Honda?

I did ask my dealer to get a price from a Honda body shop but they never got back to me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I phoned a body shop and got quoted £800+vat, so pretty expensive. But I'm sure you could find it cheaper if you shop around. I still need to get into contact with Honda uk, but not holding my breath as mine is an 07 type r.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts