2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
I may not be right about this but I seem to remember reading somewhere that Honda stopped marketing this spoiler as it was only stuck on, and some were unsticking ! It may be worth you checking up on this before you fit one .
Of course I might have got this wrong ,so if I have I'm sorry Mr Honda.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that bill may ask honda lads when im in tomorrow

·
Registered
12 Posts
I may not be right about this but I seem to remember reading somewhere that Honda stopped marketing this spoiler as it was only stuck on, and some were unsticking ! It may be worth you checking up on this before you fit one .
Of course I might have got this wrong ,so if I have I'm sorry Mr Honda.
Yes, you're right. I've ordered the Rallye Red package with my new car here in Hungary and I only got the front grille red insert, the red mirror covers and the red rear bumper insert. I was informed (back in Oct 2015 when my car arrived) that the roof spoiler had been revoked for some security reasons and it would be re-designed and re-produced in Apr 2016. Last week I inquired at my dealer and at Honda Hungary too and they told me that this won't be available. :( Apart from this I like it very much and I'd like to get one. Does anyone have a tip from where could I order a roof spoiler like this? I've tried ebay and other Honda forums but did not find anywhere...
Thanks!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ebay have some in the UK I believe, I'll have to dig out the link for you. I was tempted to get one but as said, it is only stuck on with tape! Isn't that the same with the door protectors though, and only on with tape?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi,
I've also tried to find a link on ebay selling this item but I did not find any. If you can, then thanks in advance! :)
I do not think that if it has to be installed only with adhesive tape that would be a problem. There are very strong tapes that would do I think. Maybe the little fins on the rear fenders are also fixed with tape only... I've heard that this rear wing was revoked because there were accidents (front or side accidents) where the rear of the car was not hurt but the wing fell off because of the heavy deceleration of the colliding car. The standards (TÜV in Germany for example) do not allow it, so they have to revoke it. But I'm sure that if you use a suitable and strong enough adhesive tape on a well cleaned surface, it will be ok.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi, I have one. For about a year actually.
'Stuck' on my OWP 2012 Civic.

I did the installation myself so I can tell you that is is NOT only taped to the roof.
Of course the front and side edges are all tape, but when installing you also have to shorten the black roof rail strips, after which you get access to a hook onto which you attach a metal strip that the spoiler is screwed on to.
So it will never just fly off. Nor can you ever go back to running without a spoiler unless you buy new roof rail inserts.

You can just about see the screw in the dark recessed area in the picture above.

Had no problems really. Just awkward to hack into the rails, being stainless steel and rubber...

Bought the spoiler after my dealer offered to me from 'surplus stock' at 250 euros. Could not resist a piece of plastic at that price of course ;-)

Btw, mine is a pre-facelift spoiler, now that I see your picture: it has a hump near the antenna instead of what looks like a recess on that one.
Can't say if the more recent versions might be tape-only then...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks! That is great news that it is not just taped and bad news that the roof rails have to be hacked...
I've read in another thread that the installation is a nightmare - 14 pages pdf instruction. Is that true?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Perfect thanks for the info swiv98! A aftermarket version may not have the screw holes is the only concern.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
The instructions that come with (original) Honda accessories are always quite lengthy (seen 2 in my case and more on here). I guess they don't want to leave any doubts.
However, it's always a good idea to read them in full up front ;)

The spoiler was easier than the two black 'spoilers' that go on the outside edges of the front bumper. Removing the bumper is not great fun with all the half-hidden catches and clips. The roof spoiler was a breeze in comparison.

·
Registered
16 Posts
As a matter of fact: I do. Pure coincidence that I cleaned out my paperwork last week and also that today is Kingsday in the Netherlands, leaving me time to mess about with all these images.

Hope it helps. They're even in English...

·
Registered
16 Posts
You're welcome.
Only 11 pages, not 14 like mentioned before ;)

Seems daunting, looking at it again now, but rest assured, apart from lifting the roof rail insert and chopping it (with a dremel in my case), it all makes sense.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts