2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

"Rortiness" - Noisy exhaust or just me?

Engine 
5K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  czechplastik 
#1 ·
:confused:

Rightho....

I've had this theory about my Civic... I think its rather loud for what it is...

I've had diesels that are quieter - this seems like there's either no sound insulation (or very little) or the exhaust is losing pressure somewhere.

It's not a "farty" noise, its quite pleasant when I'm in the mood, but it does get tiring on the motorway - was wondering if its one of the following:

1) Me not being used to it (tho I had a 2.4 accord which was quieter)

2) Being a new car, there hasn't been a great deal of carbon build up on the exhaust, so the baffles are resonating more

3) Something, somewhere is BROKED...! [smilie=cheeky-grin:

Of course, the sound doesn't bother me when and if I give it some, I know what to expect there!!![smilie=tongue.gif]

See less See more
#4 ·
No underseal?! Please God noooo!

Would have thought that there'd be underseal on the car, seeing as its new?

Has done about 8k miles, so still early days I guess...

I actually discovered this morning, that it sounds like the end of the right hand side exhaust is leaking a little bit of air.... Don't know wether this is a fault or just something I will have to put up with.

#7 ·
I actually discovered this morning, that it sounds like the end of the right hand side exhaust is leaking a little bit of air.... Don't know wether this is a fault or just something I will have to put up with.
I have this same "problem". Asked about it from Honda service guy and he told that everything is ok, it is typical sound for new civ [smilie=tongue.gif].

#5 ·
Talking about exhausts, does anyone know if the triangular exhausts are actually supposed to be exhaust outlets or just for show?

Mine seem to exhaust just inside the rear "bumper", is this normal for the Diesel?

#8 ·
in the Diesel, there is a 'big' exhaust pipe which bends downwards and misses the triangles completly :)

Then there is a much smaller pipe off that which allows just enough gases to exit via the triangles to make them appear real LOL

#10 ·
I meant the triangles are just for show, but they are used for exhaust outlet. If you look inside the triangles you can see a normal round exhaust...

#12 ·
Checked mine out...

Far as I can tell, the triangular parts are functional only on the petrol engines...

To me it looks like there is a standard exhaust set up underneath/behind the bumper - but then the triangular exits seem to "slot" into the exhaust....

I know they work as it was so cold this morning, I could see "steam" leaving both of the ports. Looks nice too.

On the diesels, I beleive that the exhaust doesn't even go close to the area of the bumper - maybe with a little fettling it could be changed??? [smilie=cheeky-grin:

Mine seems to rasp more on one side than the other too (see post on "rortiness") but I guess I can live with that.

#13 ·
Dr Dark, as TTDegs mentioned earlier in the thread, the diesel Civic exhausts both downwards and through the triangular exhaust, it's very bizarre to see!

Most diesels vent downwards so that any smoke generated isn't blown straight into the path of the car behind. The fact that diesels don't smoke any more seems to have evaded most car designers!

Damian

#15 ·
Dr Dark, as TTDegs mentioned earlier in the thread, the diesel Civic exhausts both downwards and through the triangular exhaust, it's very bizarre to see!

Most diesels vent downwards so that any smoke generated isn't blown straight into the path of the car behind. The fact that diesels don't smoke any more seems to have evaded most car designers!

Damian
I would beleive that, but for the fact I was looking at a diesel before the petrol - ok, it was only the 1.4 - but it had NO holes at the back at all... they were "plugged". A lot of owners of the diesel (not sure which engine) seem to be asking the question on this forum "can I make mine look like the petrol?" so I'm guessing most of them don't have "holes".

I haven't really examined the 2.2, maybe that has "holes" as it is the more mainstream (and sportier?) model in that range?

I asked my tame techie, he says that the diesels exit downwards for the most part. Silly me forgot to ask on which engine (see point above!)

Perhaps it depends on what the boys at Swindon felt like?! [smilie=tongue.gif]

#14 ·
Mine gives quite a nice throaty roar when I give it welly, othorwise you struggle to hear the thing. It most definately is not loud.

At motorway speeds, the road and wind noise completely mask note of the exhaust/engine. I haven't gone above 70, so I don't know anything faster than that sounds like. I tell a lie, I went to france and belgium last year the speed limit was 130kph. Still was not loud.

If it is sounding loud, perhaps you should get it looked at.

#18 ·
ok....

1.4 engines start off life with blanking plates where the triangles are

2.2 engines have the dual exit (most down, small pipe into triangles)

1.8 engines exit via the triangles

:D

to confuse things more tho, it's possible to replace the blanking plates with triangles by buying a Honda part kit :wink:

#19 ·
but to confuse things even more, it's the triangles at the front of the car that are dependant on spec, not engine :D

Fog lights come as standard on all EX models, sometimes (depending on the order date) on Sport models, and can be added as an optional extra on (I think!) all models.

but that's another thread :)

#21 ·
but to confuse things even more, it's the triangles at the front of the car that are dependant on spec, not engine :D

Fog lights come as standard on all EX models, sometimes (depending on the order date) on Sport models, and can be added as an optional extra on (I think!) all models.

but that's another thread :)

ES spec has front fogs, too!

#20 ·
That's true, and from what I read in here, I'm glad I haven't specced them onto me SE!!

I might just install some super CIBIES somewhere instead (not!) ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.