2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people..,

Any one Here running a RRC crank pulley?

:popcorn:

·
Premium Member
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im positive we have a RRB (13810-RRB-A01) pulley not a RRC.....

The RRC its a bit smaller, with will be better for a N/A set up.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Im positive we have a RRB (13810-RRB-A01) pulley not a RRC.....

The RRC its a bit smaller, with will be better for a N/A set up.
And what will be bring a smaller pulley?

·
Premium Member
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will quote a very wise and K-series genious (ate the same time, explaning why I didnt go for aftermarket aluminium puleys) :

"There are 3 different Harmonic Vibration Dampeners for these engines. That which you're calling a crank pulley is much more than just a pulley, in fact that's very much it's secondary function. As the name implies the primary function is to dampen out destructive harmonic vibrations that happen in all crankshafts at certain rpm.
The K20A Type R unit is the smallest in diameter at 5.115", same diameter as the S2000 engines
The K20A2 is in the middle at 5.465"
The K24's use the largest diameter unit at 5.980"
The overall weight of each of them is just about the same, but the important part is the mass of the inertia ring, that part of the dampener that has the pulley grooves machined into it. It's separated from the hub section by a vulcanized rubber ring which is how the whole thing works, the vibrations in the crank are dampened out by the inertia ring through the rubber.
There are other designs as well, but this one is the most cost effective for production engines so it's the design used by all OEM's except Chevrolet, and then only on the new Z06 Corvette. It uses the Fluidamper design. Much better but also a LOT more expensive.
As the relative diameter of the crank pulley gets smaller it reduces the speed of all the pulleys driven by it, resulting in lower parasitic HP loss. The smaller diameter also allows the engine to rev quicker because the moment of inertia is lower, much the same as a light-weight flywheel.
I use the Type R unit on every engine I build."
"Joe McCarthy"

:cool:

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
I never knew that. Interesting stuff :)

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
Am I right in thinking that if you fit the incorrect pulley you could end up emphasizing the harmonic vibes and increasing wear?

·
Premium Member
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very interesting. How much do we think we are looking at there?

Is is a straight swap?

RRC for RRB its a straight Swap.... what I am looking a is the Belt.

Any one know if the RRC belt ist the same lenght as our 31110-RRB-A01 ?

Am I right in thinking that if you fit the incorrect pulley you could end up emphasizing the harmonic vibes and increasing wear?
Yes.

·
Premium Member
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RRC for RRB its a straight Swap.... what I am looking a is the Belt.

Any one know if the RRC belt ist the same lenght as our 31110-RRB-A01 ?

Yes.
Ok found the RRC belt part number.

56992-RRC-J01 or 56992-RRC-004

Now.... can any one tell me the length of it?? :rolleyes:

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nope, would an DC5 belt work as it has proper steering too, or is the crank pulley a different size?
DC5R (JDM) has same size pulley as FD2.

Do you know ther part number and lenght of the DC5R belt?

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Im sure the k20A3 has the bigger pulley like our FN2.... Needs to be the k20a engine.

Thanks for taking the time tho.

Will keep looking

:D

·
Premium Member
2,573 Posts
when had my engine out measured it and i think it was 138mm.

anyway i've got a spare crank pulley on my garage and when get back home on monday i can verify that.

·
Premium Member
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi,

Yes it is 138mm, when measured across the top of the pulley groves.

I was measuring the od of the whole pulley which is about 147-148mm on the RRB from our FN2.

Anyhows, the RRC pulley has the 137mm OD, so will check the correct Diameter across the groves later to see how big it is... should be around 127mm.. :cool:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts