2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are they there for, do they serve any purpose, is it an aerodynamic thing or is it just a styling thing ? I can't see any point in having them, they just seem to catch on speed bumps and steep incline ramps etc.

I'm temped to take them off, probably gain a couple of bhp with less wind resistance. ???

·
Registered
94 Posts
with less wind resistance
I'm sure you've noticed that behind those rubber thingies are some big round spinning thingies (some people call them: wheels), which will still produce wind resistance ;)
I doubt you'll see any aerodynamic improvement when you remove the rubber thingies. It might be even be slightly worse than with them.

But yes, you can remove them if they bother you, lots of people did that (me included).

·
4,232 Posts
One good thing about them, if nothing else, is that they warn you that you are about to scrape something and possibly do serious scratch damage to your front bumper. And if they scrape speed bumps either put up with it or drive slower (or you have some really serious speed bumps around your area)

·
Super Moderator
1,283 Posts
They must serve some purpose or the engineers at Honda would not have bothered to add them.
The accountants would certainly have not allowed a no benefit cost to be added to the build.

·
i-Vtec
2,561 Posts
They are called "Strakes". No idea what they are for, they have them in front of the rear wheels on most models too. Some says its for Aero, some say they are tell tales so you hear them scraping before you do any damage to the underside. I have never had mine scrap ever, even when both front springs were broken and it was about 30mm lower than it should be. The Diesels must be quite a bit heavier to do this on speed bumps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies folks.Did a tinternet search for strakes and they are indeed used for aerodynamics, F1 and other racing cars. They are mentioned in the blurb for the new Honda insight.

"To streamline airflow beneath the car, we used a flat underfloor design and strakes designed to reduce wake."

So, there you go, they do indeed have a purpose, I think I will leave them on and have the occasional grounding.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm sure you've noticed that behind those rubber thingies are some big round spinning thingies (some people call them: wheels), which will still produce wind resistance ;)
I doubt you'll see any aerodynamic improvement when you remove the rubber thingies. It might be even be slightly worse than with them.

But yes, you can remove them if they bother you, lots of people did that (me included).
Have lost a couple of the plastic thingies which hold the rubber thingies to the car anyone know what size and whats the correct name of the plastic pins.

·
Super Moderator
1,283 Posts
It's one of these. Always useful to have a load of spares since they do go brittle and break over time.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,307 Posts
I'm constantly having to replace the trim clips on mine. You can buy a bag off eBay... I also put a couple of self tapping screws on mine so that they are more secure but they still get knocked off.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,307 Posts
Maaaaan! Cable Ties..... Spend £2 on eBay and get a bag full of the proper ones 😜

1 - 11 of 11 Posts