2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all.

I had the clutch changed in my diesel at ~75k miles, last year. I had the flywheel changed at the same time: after purchasing the LuK RepSet clutch myself (not sure if this is the '325' - but I'm guessing it is), the garage informed me that the flywheel was knackered - so, they ordered it whilst doing it. I have had no real issues with it yet - and the car's now got just over 117k on the clock. Happy days - as numbered as they may be, with our clutches being as they are!

However, there's a small problem that seems to be persisting. Before having it changed, there was a rumbling coming from the engine bay, coming up through the brake/clutch pedals (more noticeable on the brake pedal). It's a bit ambiguous, I know, but that's the only way I can describe it - almost like a low grinding, if you like. As this developed when the clutch started to go south, I just presumed that it was to do with it. Even after having the clutch and flywheel changed, though, it's persisted. It seems to be worse when I've been driving for a couple of miles, and the severity can vary - but, it's there all the time, pretty much.

I've managed to narrow it down to this: if I push the gear stick towards any gear without using the clutch (hitting the synchro gate), the noise goes away. Similarly, when I have the clutch depressed, the noise goes away when I reach the biting point in any gear. However, pressing the clutch on its own does nothing at all. Also, whilst stationary, if I move backwards and forwards (in my seat, without adjusting the seat), the noise seems to be in rhythm with my movements.

Like I say, no issues with the new clutch/flywheel yet, but it's just an issue that I'm worried about. It has been suggested that it is due to using an LuK clutch with a (presumed) Sachs flywheel - that being, if the same brand isn't used, this will happen - but, since it happened before fitting the new clutch, too, I'm a bit confused. Can anyone offer any advice, please? Am I looking at another flywheel, or is it something like the selector fork, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7 Posts
usually it take around 600miles to break in clutch and flywheel, 600 not a motorway miles, but cluth miles, in and out, maybe it needs to rub-in

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,026 Posts
Input shaft bearing failing?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts