2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Also if you've run your car in well, it should never need any oil top ups other than on the services. If it's burning oil you've got a big problem.
Is that BS I can smell :?:

·
R - 11859
625 Posts
Is that BS I can smell :?:
No BS just a fact. Mine is at 21000 miles from new and i have never had to put oil in for top ups.
Run any car in well and it will not burn oil......Fact:D

·
Civinfo's Bulb Supplier
13,427 Posts
No BS just a fact. Mine is at 21000 miles from new and i have never had to put oil in for top ups.
Mine needed oil after 5,000 miles, does that mean I didn't run it in well?

And what is "well"?

·
R - 11859
625 Posts
Mine needed oil after 5,000 miles, does that mean I didn't run it in well?

And what is "well"?
Doesn't sound good mate :(

·
R - 11859
625 Posts
Doesn't take alot to work out....

If a car is burning oil there must be something wrong, unless i can be proved wrong.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Our 197 needed 2.25 litres of oil in the 1st 12,000 miles but then we didn't need to put any in and the car was then sold at 15,800 miles.

The Civic has done 800 miles and I have just topped up the oil with about 300 ml of oil. I've decided it is the worst car design for topping up and that also goes for the washer bottle too.

If a car shouldn't burn oil then why on earth does a manufacturer put the tolerance for oil usage in a handbook.

·
Civinfo's Bulb Supplier
13,427 Posts
I'm sorry to break this to you so close to new years, but you need a new engine :|
But, but, but why I ask, why?

On a serious note, did an oil change recently and filled her with Fuchs Titan XTR fully synthetic 5W/30 and she does "feel" better for it, I'm not usually one for believing the mumbo jumbo that there is that much between any of the different oils but I have gobbled my hat :D

Still... it's all in vein now I need a new lump, darn K20, what a nancy motor ;)

·
Civinfo's Bulb Supplier
13,427 Posts
Doesn't take alot to work out....

If a car is burning oil there must be something wrong, unless i can be proved wrong.
I think all cars burn oil matey, or else why would you have a dipstick and electronic level indicator, the question is how quickly.

·
R - 11859
625 Posts
Our 197 needed 2.25 litres of oil in the 1st 12,000 miles but then we didn't need to put any in and the car was then sold at 15,800 miles.

The Civic has done 800 miles and I have just topped up the oil with about 300 ml of oil. I've decided it is the worst car design for topping up and that also goes for the washer bottle too.
I agree, if i needed any oil i think i would have to use a turkey baister :p

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You see the reason I say it was BS, is because I was under the impression that:

As an engine runs, gases and combustion pressure are contained within the combustion chamber and prevented from passing into the crankcase (containing the crankshaft and other parts) between the side of the piston and the cylinder bore by piston rings which seal against the cylinder. Worn or damaged piston rings or cylinder walls will allow these gases to escape past and directly into the crankcase. This leaked gas is known as blow by because the pressure within the cylinders blows it by the piston rings. In newer engines, and engines with new piston rings or reconditioned cylinder walls, this is often caused by failure to observe the correct "breaking in" procedure. If this blow-by gas could not escape then pressure would build up within the crankcase.

In the case of the Type R engines it is the use of the lower friction pistons to achieve the high rpm. So I understand why you think that it might be due to not bedding the engine in properly.

Before the invention of Crankcase Ventilation in 1928 the engine oil seals were designed to withstand this pressure, oil leaking to the ground was acceted and the dipstick was screwed in. The hydrocarbon rich gas would then diffuse through the oil in the seals into the atmosphere. It is therefore an emissions requirement as well as a functional necessity that the crankcase has a ventilation system. This must maintain the crankcase at slightly less than atmospheric pressure and recycle the blow-by gas back into the engine intake. However, due to the constant circulation of the oil within the engine, along with the high speed movement of the this technically fails to meet most engine emission legislation.

So all performance vtec engines will use a little oil, but is dependent on how hard and often the engine is worked.

[blue bits shamelessly copied from wiki]

·
Registered
712 Posts

Sorry complete rubbish not a fact at all. Some cars use some oil, some cars use a lot of oil, some cars appear to use none whatsoever, but to say a car that uses oil (any oil) is knackered is complete crock.

All engines be they Petrol or Diesel are built to a dertain set of tolerances and unles they are 'blueprinted' as race engines are where the parts are individually selected to give the tightest possible tolerance some will have a larger toleranc ethan others. Most diesel engines do use some oil but tend to get better when they get more miles on.

It is true that if an engine is using (burning) a lot of oil it is not running as it should but they can still happily run for many thousands of miles.

Basically what I am trying to say is that your sweeping statement is incorrect as it is a generalisation and these statements are never correct.

·
You're or your..........
2,782 Posts
But, but, but why I ask, why?

On a serious note, did an oil change recently and filled her with Fuchs Titan XTR fully synthetic 5W/30 and she does "feel" better for it, I'm not usually one for believing the mumbo jumbo that there is that much between any of the different oils but I have gobbled my hat :D

Still... it's all in vein now I need a new lump, darn K20, what a nancy motor ;)
K20 group buy ?

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
An engine that uses more oil is most likely losing the oil via the oil control ring.

This is most likely because the running in process was not done as well as it could have been.

If the car loses oil because the ring/bore interface is not as good as it should be, then the chances are that the pressure ring(s) are also not working as well as they could be and the cylinder pressures will be down (resulting in lost power/efficiency).

The cars most prone to oil and power loss are the ones that were run in too gently (glazed bores), but you can get the same symptoms from other abuse, such as thrashing when cold, or using cheap oil (or not changing the oil).

But - it's quite possible to lose oil in other ways, and it's possible that your oil rings are not working as well as the other rings. Possible, but not that likely.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts