2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Peeps,

Ive read throu the forum about how to run in your Civic Type R, and to be honest its all mixed reviews.

Can anybody tell me from experiance that wot happens if you Roug ride your FN2 from ZERO miles?

Ive got a heavy foot and was wondering can i enter te V-Tec Zone so early on after taken delivery?

Thanks

·
Registered
10,247 Posts
From the wiki...........(if you've not already seen it)

This is all about piston rings and bores. In an engine the compressed gas must not escape the combustion chamber down into the innards of the engine (causing loss of power) and the oil must not escape at too great a rate into the combustion chamber (causing loss of oil). The seals that stop this are springy rings that go around the piston, that are forced by the pressure of the gasses in the combustion chamber to squeeze against the inside of the bore. They mostly don't touch the bore - there is a microscopic film of oil between the ring and the bore, held in some tiny little grooves that cover all of the bore.
The quality of this seal is critical to the performance of the car, and this seal is "completed" during the running in period.

When the little groves are put in the bore by the manufacturer, they are not perfect. Modern grooves are pretty good - they already have a little plateau on the peaks - but the rings still have to wear them in a bit to the perfect shape of the rings in that bore. Oddly, the best way to do this is to get the parts in the correct shape and size by warming the engine right up and then loading the rings up with plenty of pressure so they are evenly forced against the bore, causing them to evenly rub down the grooves to a perfect fit all round. If only a light pressure is applied (for a long time), then the rings will tend to press a little bit in some places, leaving other places not worn correctly. This can remove the little groves in some places leaving a smooth finish (glazing the bores), causing a poor seal for life.

·
You're or your..........
2,782 Posts
Hi Peeps,

Ive read throu the forum about how to run in your Civic Type R, and to be honest its all mixed reviews.

Can anybody tell me from experiance that wot happens if you Roug ride your FN2 from ZERO miles?

Ive got a heavy foot and was wondering can i enter te V-Tec Zone so early on after taken delivery?

Thanks
I waited 150 miles and then drove it like i stole it
3k miles on it now and just had to put a drop of oil in once, it feels very good and loosened up nicely
It's what they are made for, but like you said everyone has differing views and it's your car :cool:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick and honest replies, Ill drive it like a OAP then rape it when it shows 200miles ;-)

Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, ill put some pics up also *****. thanks

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Ill drive it like a OAP then rape it when it shows 200miles
I wouldn't.

I'd warm it up (10-15 minutes) and then do some full throttle acceleration bursts (but not up to vtec) and let it run down again. That way, during those critical first few miles you will get the rings to bed in nicely.

It's all in here: Running in - Civinfo Wiki

·
Premium Member
13,427 Posts
I was told there is no running in period by the dealer, this was then confirmed by Honda UK. Someone also told me they are pre-run in at the factory, either way the K20 is no normal engine.

And from my own experience, I run mine in similar to Neemstar, didn't go silly for first 100 miles, then went very silly, and the car is better for it after driving other FN2's.

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Mr JP - every piston engine needs running in (assuming it has pistons with honed bores). Your method is fine though, as you've discovered.

And there's a bit in the "myths" section in the wiki about factory running in.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've ran mine in for 500 miles with no v-tec, and am now doing a further 500 miles this weekend with some v-tec and more spirited driving.

I won't give it the full bells for an extended period till I get 1k on the clock though.

Thats just my own opinion having owned a number of cars.

Most important thing is to make sure the engine is warm ! Don't be doing cold start v-tecs !

·
S2000 AP1
595 Posts
bedding in seals ect will only occur in the first 20 or so miles....give it beans in this period (but NOT redline it!!) and let the engine slow down without breaking. After doing this, drive normally for about 500miles (not aggressive starts and stops ect) as components like tyres,brakes, suspension also have to bed in. But getting a good seal is the key...this can only be done in first 20miles...All IMO !!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've followed this topic with great interest as I'm about to pick up my CTR in a week or two. I do, however, have some questions:

- is entering v-tec during run-in period permitted? not redlining but revving up to some 6-7k?
- how about an oil change after 20 miles as motoman suggests on his website? has anybody done this? what oil should be put in (I guess mineral 10w40 right?)?

·
Registered
391 Posts
as soon as mine was warmed up for the first time i gave it hell. it had probably done about 20 miles from new at this point and it seems fine.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Listen to Pottsy on this one i followed the same advice from this site when i collected my Type R gave it high revs upto 5000 in all gears (staying within the law of course ;) ) upto 4th gear then taking my foot off the gas and letting the revs drop to around 1500 and starting the process over again for around 15-20 miles its great fun THIS IS FROM THE DEALERS WHEN COLLECTED and i have never put a single drop of top up oil in her for 14000 miles. Also she kicks out 212bhp standard and as TDI put it 'she's a guddon'. The choice is yours and so is the advice you follow we the masses can only advise. good luck with your new baby ;)

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Szymu don't bother changing oil for a few thousand miles and when you do never ever use mineral oil ever the engine in a type R gets too hot. i use Amsoil series 2000 0w30 fully synthetic but any good FULLY SYNTHETIC oil should be ok. 0w30,5w30,0w40,5w40 are the best. With oils you get what you pay for most of the time, do a search on this forum for oil and you will find some good advice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts