2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2007 2.2 cdti type s earlier this year. After a month or so I noticed a couple of small stone chips on the roof which were starting to rust - not bubbling or anything, literally just starting.

I bought some touch up paint and lacquer, and used a dremel to sand out the chip, widening it a tiny bit and going back to metal completely getting rid of any trace. I then cleaned thoroughly with white spirit, applied primer, paint, and lacquer.

A couple months later I noticed the tiniest amount of rust showing through again. It hasn't got any worse for months, but weather has been good.

Should I try again? Or is this going to be a losing battle? I'm toying with the idea of an mx5, but I'm in no rush since I'm still enjoying the civic... however if this is gonna be a problem when the rainy weather comes I'd rather shift it on before then...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Without actually treating with a rust treatment it will just keep coming back. Really you should have left it and contacted Honda. They are still repairing this known fault on the Gen 8.
I didn't know that. I figured it's over 10 years old, had several owners and is out of warranty so...

I'll get in touch and see what they say. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm shocked Honda is still treating this even on such old cars. Mine is 10 year old so I may contact Honda as I also have tiny dots of rust on the roof. Worth trying. Will post back, thanks for starting this thread as normally would just try to do it myself at some point.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts