2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly hopefully this is allowed as I'm new here and this already has its own thread but its old from when 8th Gen Civics could get this fixed under warranty. I'm going to get as much information as I can and let people know what options are available. This is where I am at so far:

Last week I took my car out for a drive and water was coming from my sun visor and dripping on to my leg as I was driving. After some googling, i got advised to check the windscreen seal to see if it had rust under it from the roof, so I checked it and sure enough under the seal is Rusty and is spreading its way up on to the roof bubbling the paint off. Just to point out at this point I don't think this is why I had water coming from the visor, after running my car with the heater on full for a long drive it has not come back so must have been condensation which I believe a lot of people have pointed out on here.

So back to the rust on the roof and more googling which lead me back here to find a lot of people had gone to Honda and had the problem fix under an extended warranty, so on my day off I went to two main Honda dealers. One which didn't take any details apart from it was an 8th gen Honda civic and just flat out said this was not something that is covered and they wouldn't send any info off to Honda to see if they could help me. The second took a few details then just said no and they have only ever done a couple of these and they had full honda service history and paint correction package. So I asked if they know its a common problem then why does me having my oil and filter changed with them make a difference as this is a paintwork issue, not an engine issue or I could understand well that got me nowhere he just said no. ( i will point out I was been polite too )

So this is where I need more advice I have been on Honda .co.uk and send an email to them asking where I stand and if there is a form I can fill in. No reply yet may have to send a second one.

I'm not sure where to go from here with them I'm sure other people have filled in forms not everyone had a full-service history either.

Any help would be appreciated than others aren't left in the dark like me, I bought this car from someone who had left it to die it was in a sorry state and I have spent a lot of time and money over the last 6 months, with it on my ramp taking it apart and bringing it back to life I hope at some point I will do a thread with pictures of all the work. So if I can avoid spending more money on what seems like a common fault that would be awesome. If not any other recommendations for fixing it my self or how much a body shop may want would be good :)

Yet again thanks and sorry I made a new thread as iv already commented on the old one.

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
The main point, as you mention, is having a full Honda service history, which, most importantly has the Honda corrosion check as well.

They can rightly argue that if they had spotted it earlier, knowing it has a weak point, it would have been easier/cheaper to repair.

One reason mine only goes to Honda annually.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
yes, that is a very fair point. But in the other thread, there is an update recall thing that states even if it has been into Honda for a Service they will not address the roof problem unless it is mentioned by the customer. I'm pretty sure that's what it is I cant post pictures or I would have posted it in here. but if that is the case then it makes it pointless going if they won't point it out. But you do have a very good point thank you for taking the time to reply to me, and read the essay of a post i started the thread with I got carried away.

UPDATE:
Honda just emailed me back want me to send my vin number over, REG and mileage. say they will try and help after I provide the details and give me an answer within 3 working days.

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
Yes, I should have said that contacting Honda HQ is always advisable as some dealers seem to act as judge and jury and often produce the wrong verdict.

·
Resident Civinfo Nutter
4,451 Posts
I'll be subbing to this as I recently got a white fn2 and noticed it's got a big strip of rust aloy the roof and window. Gonna see what Honda say about it as it's got a full Honda service and had corrosion checks...they obviously missed this

1 - 5 of 5 Posts