2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm sorting out bits for changing the oil on my 66 plate civic, and I cant spot a dedicated central jacking point at the front (this is in contrast to my previous, 55 plate civic which did have a clear central jacking point).

How can I safely jack the car up with the trolley jack to then place the car on axle stands at the jacking points on the sills at the side?

If there is no real safe way to do it, what are my other options - I'm not too keen on using ramps, but maybe that is the only way?

Could someone also please confirm the torque setting for the engine oil sump bolt.

Many thanks,

Matt

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
I think Veehexx has a method for jacking (Found an unofficial jacking point) - That being said, the service manual only lists the sill jacking points as useable.

If you've got a large jack, I'd suggest some weight in the boot and jack from the rear jacking point until you can get the stand under the front jacking point. If you need all four wheels up, you can then jack the rear on the tow hook jacking point to get those in.

I'll see what documents I can find re. sump.

·
Registered
428 Posts
If it's just to change the oil, two pieces of wood say 10 inches wide and two inches thick with a lead in is an ideal ramp for raising the car sufficiently to get enough room.

Far quicker than messing about with jack and axle stands or buy a Sealey extractor because the Honda (diesel) lends itself to doing it from the top because of the location of the filter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking if low ramps (the ones people with low cars might use to raise initially before getting a trolley jack under) might work just enough to get there, so your suggestion supports that idea. Not done an oil change on this car before, what are the positions of the oil filter and sump bolt? (It's the 1.8 litre petrol - R18 series engine I think?) My old D16 engine, the oil filter was right up high at the rear of the engine block...right pain!

Cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think Veehexx has a method for jacking (Found an unofficial jacking point) - That being said, the service manual only lists the sill jacking points as useable.

If you've got a large jack, I'd suggest some weight in the boot and jack from the rear jacking point until you can get the stand under the front jacking point. If you need all four wheels up, you can then jack the rear on the tow hook jacking point to get those in.

I'll see what documents I can find re. sump.
Cheers. Is there a service manual available anywhere? I only tackle these routine servicing jobs, things that are relatively frequent.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Cheers. Is there a service manual available anywhere? I only tackle these routine servicing jobs, things that are relatively frequent.
Top access filter on the 2.2. diesel but I don't know about the petrol model. Drain plug fairly obvious when you look underneath

The Haynes manual only covers the MK8 but there are a lot of similarities particularly withe engines on the MK9.

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
There is a service manual, however it's the paywalled Maris.
Fortunately for you, I've been on a couple of visits to pull out useful documents; I've now got virtually everything that would need doing that isn't DTC specific troubleshooting, so hopefully there's something for you:
https://www.civinfo.com/forum/tools-accessories/414570-honda-file-share.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is a service manual, however it's the paywalled Maris.
Fortunately for you, I've been on a couple of visits to pull out useful documents; I've now got virtually everything that would need doing that isn't DTC specific troubleshooting, so hopefully there's something for you:
https://www.civinfo.com/forum/tools-accessories/414570-honda-file-share.html
I'm sure there's some great info there, however there doesnt seem to be anything on normal servicing items that I would want to use to ensure the correct specifications (torques etc) are met.

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
The torques et al are contained in each assembly / disassembly document: make sure you search the entire share, as lots of the recent extracts for more routine items are in the unsorted extracts

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,307 Posts
If it's just to change the oil, two pieces of wood say 10 inches wide and two inches thick with a lead in is an ideal ramp for raising the car sufficiently to get enough room.

Far quicker than messing about with jack and axle stands or buy a Sealey extractor because the Honda (diesel) lends itself to doing it from the top because of the location of the filter.
The Sealy extractor does not work on the 1.6 Diesel, the dipstick tube is too narrow for the tube to go down. I bought it for the same reason and fell at the first hurdle. Not sure about the 2.2 though? I'm assuming that's what you're referring to.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I am referring to the 2.2, but I've had it ten years or more and used it on a variety of cars. They come with a selection of different diameter suction tubes and have never had any problem.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Sorry to highjack gents (pardon the terrible pun) but could you give any advice on where to place the rear Axle stands?

I cant fit the Jack and the stands under the sill points and im newish to the 9th gen. I read around a lot of the forum to no avail.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts