2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just completed the map update...successful. However i wanted to include Safety Camera poi on the install but i am struggling to understand how.

Various instructions suggest including the correct gpi under the poi folder at the point of install...fine, tried that and it didn't work.

Questions:

-Where to obtain Safety Camera poi compatable with the buot in garmin system?

-What is the method to install the poi?
-How to enable within garmin app to show up?

·
Super Moderator
3,355 Posts
Various instructions suggest including the correct gpi under the poi folder at the point of install...fine, tried that and it didn't work.
In the Garmin\POI folder on your memory stick IS the correct place to put it and they DO work (of sorts).
You have to enable 'Places along the road' in Map Layers (page 323 in the manual) for them do display. You have to 'Restore' the settings in the GPS menu to get the alerts to work. (Hamburger top left, scroll down, chose Restore). Problem is that this will delete any of your destinations and reset the map colours to default.

If yours don't work then it's either the settings or a duff .gpi file.

And please, in future, be more descriptive than "It didn't work"[smilie=smack.gif]

PS. Would you like your username to be changed to something other than your real name?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Audible alerts possible?

In the Garmin\POI folder on your memory stick IS the correct place to put it and they DO work (of sorts).
//snipped//
Do they actually ALERT?

I seem to have the .GPI file on the unit - presumably it got sucked in there when I updated the map. (I'd left it on the USB stick, from several previous failed attempts). However, although I have icons for them, there's no sign of an alert (not even a 'bong'!).

This Garmin implementation seems only one step-up from Garmin Mobile (of 10 years ago) - but at least they left the 'GPS Simulator' in place ... in case I want to use it "Indoors" :grin2:

On a different topic, is there a way of importing Favourites (via a .GPX file)? ... maybe using the 'modified GarminDevice.xml' method, alluded to in a few places?...

(Oh and why is there no 10g Honda Civic 'vehicle' in the list?)

·
Registered
7 Posts
To answer my own question...

Do they actually ALERT?
Alerts created using POILoader do not appear to trigger (either visually or audibly). If you touch the map icon for one, it will show you the alert information - it just doesn't implement it :frown2:

Incidentally, although voices (*.VPM) and vehicles (*.SRF) from my Nüvi 3598 copy across (and work) fine, it is not necessary to modify GarminDevice.xml for this to happen.

(In my initial experiment, I did this and the unit deleted all its original vehicles and voices!! ... I may have to visit my local friendly Honda spares dept. and see if they stock replacements, as I had no means of taking a backup first :crying: )

·
Super Moderator
3,355 Posts
The POIs generated by POIILoade WILL alert on screen and audibly provided you 'Restore' the satnave before every trip.
This of course resets pretty much everything.
The camera icons DO show on my map all the time (along with knives and forks and cash machines etc), but they don't alert unless I restore.

·
Registered
7 Posts
... 'Restore' the satnav before every trip...
I'd seen (and tried) the reference to resetting ... but I only did it the once. I wonder what a reset does to make the alerts work ... and why it would revert to not working after a power-cycle? I've no reason to doubt that it works, but it wouldn't be overly practical anyway.

I did try redirecting an old Nüvi 765's A2DP audio o/p to the Honda, but it doesn't 'auto-interrupt' like the 'handset' o/p of my mobile phone - so would only work if that's the only audio I want to listen to :frown2:

Looks like I need a means of automatically firing-up CamerAlert. A post on Stackexchange.com reckons IFTTT might do the job, which is something I hadn't thought of.

·
Super Moderator
3,355 Posts
Can you not connect it as a phone (whatever that setting is)? That way it will interrupt the music.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can you not connect it as a phone (whatever that setting is)? That way it will interrupt the music.
No, there's no such option :frown2:

I suppose the audio output is intended for when you're using the Nüvi as a media player. I don't think the audio output feature appeared on many Nüvis (unlike the input feature, where the Nüvi appears as a hands-free device for a connected phone.)

I seem to have succeeded in getting CamerAlert to fire up automatically when the Honda bluetooth connects. I used (the free version) of an Android app called "Automate". The big question is, will this app drain my phone battery, while it sits in the background trying to detect an attached Honda Civic ...

·
Super Moderator
3,355 Posts
The big question is, will this app drain my phone battery,
If you don't have the phone on charge the GPS and CA takes quite a whack.
For my S9+, I have a fast charge car vent mount like THIS. The phone just drops in and the two top clamps then close up to hold the top of the phone.But don't forget, if you do go down this route you need a fast charge ciggy adaptor as a 'normal' one won't fast charge.
This combo easily keeps up with CA and the GPS and there is a bit 'left over' to put a bit of charge into the phone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I couldn't help myself ... I hit the old RESET button and went for a drive. :smile3:
...Sure enough the alerts do work, but only for that one session. How very, very odd!

If you don't have the phone on charge the GPS and CA takes quite a whack.
Yes, I know about CamerAlert's overhead, because I use it on my bike. I was more worried about "Automate" and its overhead, while it spends 23+ hours a day running in the background, on the off-chance of a Bluetooth connection happening.

So far, it seems acceptable ... slotting in somewhere between the "Twitter" and "Email" apps usage.

That mount is interesting for those with Wireless Charging. Unfortunately, my Huawei P9 isn't so equipped.

·
Super Moderator
3,355 Posts
Shame. It's good. Only prob is that the phone has to be plugged into the car's USB for Android Auto. Pitty they didn't BT that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry to bounce an old thread however I've spend several hours looking into how to do this but maybe my manuals are different, but where exactly is the 'Reset/Restore' button for the Honda Garmin?
The only reference on how to reset mine is a 'Data Reset' which I'm not sure if is the same thing?

(Navigation System Civic page 50 - Data Reset)

MAP > Back > Settings > Menu
"Restore all settings to the default values?" Yes

(Sorry can't post pictures yet)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts