2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the other day I thought id give my car some beans so went for it and hit about 7k revs in 3rd and the gear stick jumped into neutral, Was just wondering if this is a safety feature or is there some sort of problem with the car?

Thanks

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
No such saftey feature im aware of !

I didn't know the 1.4 suffered synchro (or gearbox) issues

Possibly it wasn't completely engaged
Can you replicate the issue?
Has it only happened once?

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
I don't know what the limiter on the 1.4 is (7K?)
Is it when you redline (or hit a certain rev#) or randomly at 'high' revs

My guess would be Synchro or linkage from what you've said :(
If it's under warranty i would take a techy out for a drive and show him

Hopefully someone who has had (or heard of) similar circumstances can offer more help

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The redline goes up to 8k revs on the dial so I'd say it would happen at around 7krevs.

And it definitely redlines with no problem (at 6k) then just seems to drop out of gear at around 7k+

·
Banned
1,929 Posts
That wouldn't be a safety feature. Theoretically you'd be doing more damage. As if it was there for safety, it'd be to stop the revs getting any higher. But as it's jumping into neutral, the revs will be shooting-up higher.

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
As i said, i'd guess at Synchro or linkage

Try not to rev to 7k in 3rd :rolleyes:
If still in warranty take it to Honda and ask them to inspect, have a look around here for Synchro issues, there's many!

Good luck matey

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah it's still in warranty as its only a few months old.

Not sure whether to risk having the car for a few days or just leave it as I don't rev that high often

·
Registered
95 Posts
Would do a hell of alot more damage revving out of gear as it will rev under no load!

My 2002 Type r did this now and then, but never came out when driving, it used to pop out if I hit the clutch at 8krpm but ti'd be changing gear anyways at that point

·
Banned
1,929 Posts
Would do a hell of alot more damage revving out of gear as it will rev under no load!

My 2002 Type r did this now and then, but never came out when driving, it used to pop out if I hit the clutch at 8krpm but ti'd be changing gear anyways at that point
+1

This is invariably what I was saying.

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ah right, any advice of what to do? As my brother has the same car, bought at the same time.
Might ask him to rev the crap out of it and see what happens

·
Batmobiles Rule ✌
6,587 Posts
Ah right, any advice of what to do? As my brother has the same car, bought at the same time.
Might ask him to rev the crap out of it and see what happens
Don't rev the thing that high and get it booked in to the stealers for a repair. No gearbox jumps out of gear when it is working correctly. You will be alright driving round until it can be repaired, just keep the revs down.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
My 1.8 jumped out of 2nd gear a few times. Never got to the bottom of it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
This seems to be a "type fault" of the Type-R. It's always the 3rd gear....mine pops out randomly and I know when it may or may not pop out (can feel it when changing gear because the gear feels crunchy). In your car try if the 3rd gear feels different from the others. You don't have to red line it just drive normally and change to third (a few times because like said this seems to be random). Also from time to time I get a ever so quiet crunch (like i hadn't put the clutch in) when going to third.

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This seems to be a "type fault" of the Type-R. It's always the 3rd gear....mine pops out randomly and I know when it may or may not pop out (can feel it when changing gear because the gear feels crunchy). In your car try if the 3rd gear feels different from the others. You don't have to red line it just drive normally and change to third (a few times because like said this seems to be random). Also from time to time I get a ever so quiet crunch (like i hadn't put the clutch in) when going to third.
Hmm i'll give it a go mate, never experienced the crunch that you mean but i'll keep an ear out for it? Can you feel it too?

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So had another look at it on the way to work thismorning and found its actually in 2nd gear at around 6-7k revs. Its rather annoying me now. Will have to get it looked at

Previous owner of Citroen c2 sx 1.1.
Proud new owner of 61 plate Honda Civic type s.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.