2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My satnav disc has a circular scratch all the way round the outside. Do i just buy a new disc or is it a new reader i need and how easy are they to get and fit.:worms:

·
Registered
607 Posts
How has it got scratched ? If the reader has done it I would try another disc in, one thats not worth anything e.g. free disc from magazine or blank cd/dvd, and see if the reader marks that as well. That may make your mind up whether you want to change the disc or the reader ?

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
If its not the reader that's done it, the easiest method to get back up and running is to become a supporter! ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its never been out of the reader so has to be that trying to find out how to get another reader and how easy are they to fit

·
Registered
11 Posts
sat nav disk fix

As a first post i thought i would share a bit of advice, i have seen numerous post,s saying about disc read error on the sat-nav and scratched disc,s.

this may have alreadyy been posted somewhere else but here it is anyway!!:worms:
it may sound daft or risky but i can assure you it does work every time unless you have a faulty unit
you just have to polish the disc with something slightly abrasive!!
i use solvo chrome cleaner to get rid of deep marks and scratches,
and then finaly finish polishing with meguire's deep crystal polish
dont press on to hard you may crack the disc
and use a micro fibre duster so you dont put anymore scrathes on it!!!

this realy does work and the scratches will disapere
and you cant wipe the data off the disc as it is not on the surface but burnt into the disc
try it what have you got to lose and much cheaper than a disc!!!!!:):)

Steve

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Sat-nav disk scratched

Hope some forum users can help on this topic??

Have a 2007 UK Civic. Went over a speed bump back in 2012-3 and the sat nav head scratched the disk, went to Honda garage, they checked the drive with a similar disk, then ordered me a new one (v3.7) and has worked fine since.

This morning I had to do an emergency stop (traffic lights changed with a criminally short amber phase, so to try and avoid jumping a red light camera.... grrrr).

Wasn't using sat nav, but few moments after the dreaded "disc error" came up on screen, and hey presto a circular scratch on the outside of disc! :(

Any suggestions? Is it possible to do a copy/backup of the 3.7 disc (given they seem so prone under normal driving conditions)? I don't mind paying for spares, but £80-90 for a scratched DVD is a bit cheeky!

Have other people had similar problems, or does it sound like I have dirt on the head (i.e. it wasn't the head that scratched the disc, but the dirt on it)... would use of a DVD head cleaner help (and be less risky than swiping around inside with the plastic knife handle with lens wipe)?

Thanks in anticipation :)

·
Premium Member
2,198 Posts
If you become a Supporter, you might find a few people who have a few ideas - and you get a CIVINFO sticker - eventually. [smilie=coolup.gif]

Al.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Correct me if im wrong, but why are you driving around with the sat nav disc inside your double din? Shouldn't it be installed on the double din and the disc safely stored away at home?

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Correct me if im wrong, but why are you driving around with the sat nav disc inside your double din? Shouldn't it be installed on the double din and the disc safely stored away at home?
Pre-facelift cars with OEM navigation need the DVD in to run, since that is where the maps are stored.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Normal Civics with the fully intregrated OEM sat nav (Display on top of dash) had the DVD in the glove box and as stated above, the DVD had to be left in the unit.

Like this...

Special Edition T Grade and Ti Models had the cheaper, less intrgrated Clarion Double Din Units like this..

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
The discs do wear down over time, depends on the quality of the disc.

Can't say I've ever experienced any issues with any emergency stops or speed bumps and I've driven around 50k miles in the last 2 years, no disc errors.

You should always brake as if you were squeezing a sponge, slowly at first and gradually harder towards the end, and this is a more effective way to stop anyway.

As for replacement discs, as someone above said. There is a lot more support on the forums when you become a supporter 8)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts