2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I know this is probably a daft question BUT do you guys generally keep the DVD in at all times (Even when not using/needing the navigation system)? Obviously I know the Voice Activation controls dont work after you take the disc out but to save laser wear on the DVD Drive etc?

Or am I just being stupid and can just keep the disc in the whole time without worrying too much?

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,257 Posts
I leave it in.

Not sure if the draw will open when the ignition isn't on ?

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
another reason id take the dvd with me anywhere are the dvds costs 200 . i usually leave mine in though :s

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
I leave mine in all the time.

You're more likely to do damage to the disc by removing it all the time than you are to the laser by leaving it in.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

·
i-VTEC - DO YOU?
3,111 Posts
Also, in mine anyway, I'm sure you can't use it without the DVD in! You'll do more damage and be more likely to lose it by taking it out everytime you stop. Besides if the car (therefore the disk) is stolen you will get another with the replacement car from the insurance. Also I expect you will be less concerned about a £200 disk at this point...

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
Yeeppp - you ARE being stupid :p ! ...

Leave it in at all times - whether the SatNav is actually on or not ...

A DVD laser can't "wear anything out" - it has just enough power to reflect off of the silvered surface - it'll last longer than the DVD drive or the car itself will !!! ...

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,257 Posts
I think the OP is concerned that it may be 'borrowed' if left in the car.

·
9,228 Posts
Very unlikely, think how many Civ's on here have the Navigation and I don't recall anyone having just the disk stolen :(
Yes - it's like removing the wheels and taking them indoors each night, "in case" they get stolen ...

In any case, just remember how hard it is to find and open the DVD drive ! ...

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,257 Posts
Yes - it's like removing the wheels and taking them indoors each night, "in case" they get stolen ...

In any case, just remember how hard it is to find and open the DVD drive ! ...
You may chuckle :) but I knew someone who used to unbolt and take his steering wheel indoors overnight (pre airbags obviously).

·
9,228 Posts
You may chuckle :) but I knew someone who used to unbolt and take his steering wheel indoors overnight (pre airbags obviously).
You ? ...

·
9,228 Posts

·
9,228 Posts
Make a copy of the original and stick that in to give you piece of mind. Means in the unlikely event of it getting swiped, you can always make another one.
The current and recent versions can't just be "copied" (protected) ...

@ [DaveTypeR02] and [cv65user]

Of course, if you guys splashed out on a Civinfo.com sticker, and became a Supporter, you'ld not have to worry about such things :bootyshake: ...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts