2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 EX and the sat nav has recently been playing up. (Coincidentally this started when I got a tow bar fitted.) It sometimes fails to track me, and because it can't locate me, it can't plan a route properly. When I drive along, it seems to not be able to find a Gps signal. then, it sorts itself out again and it's ok for a few weeks. Any advice?

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
Might be worth checking to see if you're being tracked by enough satellites when this happens.

Hold down 'Back', 'Menu' and 'Map' simultaneously for a few seconds until the maintanence menu pops up.
I think it's the first option in the right hand column you want.

You need to be tracked by at least 3 satellites for the gps to work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mmm... Thanks fellas. So far the gps got me to today's location no probs, but I'll try that and see. If there's less than 3 satellites showing, why would that be?

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
No real reason you should get less than 3 unless you're driving through a city or through mountains.

If you're getting none though I'd guess the GPS receiver is playing up.

·
shameless
530 Posts
the aeriel is at the rear of car so maybe towbar fitting disturbed aeriel unit/wiring

·
Mugenised CR-Z GT
502 Posts
The gps aerial is located on the left hand side under the dashboard, have you got anything covering the dashboard or anything new in your glovebox?

Aerial: (number 7)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cripes, in the dash? Nope, nothing new in there... I also did get the windscreen replaced a few weeks before the tow bar fitting, but I don't think the glovebox was touched. However I'll keep it in mind, and I might get the garage to give it a once over when I get it serviced, thanks v much.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, not got it serviced yet, but it went AWOL again yesterday. Seems to happen in/near London only, when I get within 10 miles of Heathrow.... I checked the number of satellites it had (claimed to be) connected to - eight!!! When it happens, the whole unit is very slow to respond, like when I press the buttons, when I try to zoom in/out using the jog wheel, when I try to search for a town name...... But it's OK now, in leafy Oxfordshire.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts