2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don’t know about you, but I don’t need warning about my sat nav every time I start the car and even worse having to press a button to acknowledge the warning.

I’ve been following a few of the threads that the sat nav picture hack is based on.

Eg. http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145426

I was hoping to be able to adapt the sat nav nag screen hack they have developed, but unfortunately unlike the start-up screen our version appears very different.

You can extract all the files out of SMGA2.bin with bysin (see the picture hack), but I don’t know what to work on next.

Anyone any ideas or know someone who does.

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
i dont see why this is such a bother. Yes it would be nice not to have it but it takes all of a split second to press the button

·
King of the rodeo
4,830 Posts
Our own tech experts have been working on this for some time and still havn't worked out a way round it. doesn't really bother me to be honest, used to it now, only takes a button press.

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
All the US hacks are based on the old style software. I have made some progress, but have not been able to repack the firmware having modified the file in question. The bysin program needs a complete rewrite, and I haven't had the time. Maybe someday in the future...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pottsy,

Would you share what you have discovered so far? You never know someone on here might have the time to crack it

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Nag screen text is indeed inside hmimanager, but the structure of the function calls is difficult to establish (there are three and I can't find where they come from). The best way is to fudge them to get an error (one at a time), but I can't get bysin.exe to re-compact the files with a modified hmimanager so I can test the fudged firmware. So I need a better bysin! Any brilliant C++ programmers here (I am a rubbish C++ programmer, btw)?

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
The reason nag screens were invented - stupid stupid stupid.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/6646331.stm

LOL - "I don't completly blame the Sat Nav"

No - neither do we young lady.
What we blame is the complete lack of driving skills which you obviously have - not recognising a crossing signal, not noticing the railway tracks, not wondering quite WHY a road would be crossing a (very short) field...

In one respect, however, I do blame Sat Nav - it has allowed her the chance to reproduce, thus spreading her stupid genes into the pool.

In the days before Sat Nav, she would never been able to get as far as her boyfriend's house....

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
The reason nag screens were invented - stupid stupid stupid.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/6646331.stm
I agree very stupid and very lucky! I can't see why the Sat Nav should be blamed, it could have happened just reading a normal map! Drivers need to start taking responsibility for their own actions!

The article clearly demonstrates why Honda and other Sat Nav manufacturers put on a disclaimer, when twats like that blame the Sat Nav for their own shortcomings! Next she will be trying to sue!

Equally the Nag screen won't make people better drivers (or less stupid), but it does reinforce basic common sense.

The fact it's on screen for 10 seconds or so is no major hassle to me and if it focuses the mind and makes some drivers think, it may save a life!

I'm all for mods to the Navi system/car as long as they are relatively safe, the Nag Screen hack is just pointless and a waste of time as far as I'm concerned!

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
LOL - "I don't completly blame the Sat Nav"

No - neither do we young lady.
What we blame is the complete lack of driving skills which you obviously have - not recognising a crossing signal, not noticing the railway tracks, not wondering quite WHY a road would be crossing a (very short) field...

In one respect, however, I do blame Sat Nav - it has allowed her the chance to reproduce, thus spreading her stupid genes into the pool.

In the days before Sat Nav, she would never been able to get as far as her boyfriend's house....
LOL beat me to it! Though you are more to the point!

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
The nag screen is there purely to cover the manufacturers arse cos some pillocks would actually follow a satnav's directions without question into a river & then try to sue the manufacturer - & some bloody idiot judges would allow that to happen instead of throwing it straight out.

Bin the nag screen & let some Natural Selection take place.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
The fact it's on screen for 10 seconds or so is no major hassle to me and if it focuses the mind and makes some drivers think, it may save a life!

I'm all for mods to the Navi system/car as long as they are relatively safe, the Nag Screen hack is just pointless and a waste of time as far as I'm concerned!
The nag screen requires physical rather than voice interraction & does not clear after 10 seconds into the satnav system - just to a blank screen - so you have got to OK the screen physically. That is very annoying to me as I regularly & successfully use the voice control features to set the satnav as I leave home.

Not a biggie, but a pain in the arse.

·
Vivid Blue Rocks!!!
1,228 Posts
Bin the nag screen & let some Natural Selection take place.
I partially agree about the natural selection, but as a train driver myself, the feeling you get when you are doing 90mph and a car all of a sudden appears on the level crossing right in front of you doesn't do a great deal for your underpants, even if they do manage to get out of the way in time.

Anyway, why do these pillocks manage to find their way onto railway tracks, can't they all drive into a river instead :mad:
Level crossing cause us train drivers enough grieve with thick motor vehicle drivers jumping the red lights and also stopping in the middle of the line when they are in a traffic jam.
Satnav just adds another type of stupid driver into the mix. [smilie=grrrrrr.gif]

I think I might start asking for danger money :)

Back on topic, I have absolutely no idea what the nag screen says, I just press OK.

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Back on topic, I have absolutely no idea what the nag screen says, I just press OK.
Has anyone actually read this screen, I know I never have, I don't need what it says so why waste my time reading it. As for that woman, what happened to the sat-nav, greatest excuse ever for a female driver "I never saw you coming" (It's a train!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How f*cking big does it need to be (or how much sound and how many lights) and how do you not realise your on f*cking train tracks, the noise and bumps they make are fairly distinctive). phew rant over.......

Tom

1 - 20 of 33 Posts