2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which navigation tool do you favour? As far as I can see there are currently 5 options: On board sat nav, Google Maps, Waze, Apple Maps and Sygic. For me avoiding traffic is all important so of those I prefer Waze. However, Tom Tom Go Mobile will be coming to CarPlay (currently in Beta so hopefully soon) and that, for me wipes floor with anything. Just a shame it’s voice only at the moment through the USB.

If there are any others you’d recommend I’d be interested to hear.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
I used tomtom go on my mobile on my last car. But since I got my Civic Ive been using google maps. The map and navigation on this is very clear and shows traffic too and other routes along with estimated time delays. The only downfall is that it doesnt show a speedometer or speed limits, but I think google is rolling this out now.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Waze everytime (via HondaHack), thou when struggling with no phone signal I will resort to the on-board Garmin

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Waze everytime (via HondaHack), thou when struggling with no phone signal I will resort to the on-board Garmin

Not keen on using a hack really. I’m presuming that could jeopardise any warranty? But if I did use that presumably I could then use the Tom Tom?

Also Waze is on CarPlay so why use the hack?

·
Registered
223 Posts
It's varied for me. Generally it's Apple Maps using CarPlay.

I visit different customers most days so it's great tapping my contacts details, then address, then plugging in to my Civic and away!

Often I use the Honda Navigation to get me 'Home' quickly and easily, and sometimes via a scenic route some 50 metres parallel to the road I am actually on. :smile3:

For long runs when going away for a break I use the Honda Navigation as it displays instructions on the instrument panel so I don't have to keep gazing across at the touchscreen.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
I like to use Waze via android auto. Still trying to work out how to increase the voice guidance volume though!

·
Premium Member
2,307 Posts
i used sygic years ago, about when it started to become one of the main satnav apps for android but gave up with it as the routing was probably worse than then built-in garmin.

the amount of times i use the built in satnav i'm living with its many flaws. problem is i like built in maps, and not gmaps/waze streaming style. far too many times i've lost data signal when i need it the most. shame garmin/honda gimped the built in version. from what i can tell based on featureset, it's based on a mid/high end nuvi model which allows connectivity via a phone app to get internet traffic (bluetooth?). it's been removed on the honda unit and relies soly on the trafficmaster system. welcome to the 1990's!

if i were reliant on a satnav system for work, i'd seriously be looking at a dedicated tomtom/garmin unit.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like to use Waze via android auto. Still trying to work out how to increase the voice guidance volume though!

If you turn the volume down on the steering wheel (or up) when the instruction is being read that will do it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i used sygic years ago, about when it started to become one of the main satnav apps for android but gave up with it as the routing was probably worse than then built-in garmin.

the amount of times i use the built in satnav i'm living with its many flaws. problem is i like built in maps, and not gmaps/waze streaming style. far too many times i've lost data signal when i need it the most. shame garmin/honda gimped the built in version. from what i can tell based on featureset, it's based on a mid/high end nuvi model which allows connectivity via a phone app to get internet traffic (bluetooth?). it's been removed on the honda unit and relies soly on the trafficmaster system. welcome to the 1990's!

if i were reliant on a satnav system for work, i'd seriously be looking at a dedicated tomtom/garmin unit.

This is why I can’t wait for Tomtom go mobile to come to CarPlay.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
I have a tom tom stand alone from before I got this car its way ahead of the standard garmin in my late 2015 civic
not really to confident I can trust the garmin from tests ive done on know routes

1 - 11 of 11 Posts