2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would be interested to know what speed settings people use in their satnavs for the different road classes.

I keep tinkering with mine in an attempt to make it choose a more obvious selection of routes. I know that sometimes I choose a less efficient route just because I know it, but sometimes DigitalDot just gets it wrong and when I ignore her and she re-calculates she comes up with a shorter AND quicker route! That's just plain wrong.

My speed settings are currently M:67, R:37, U:25

Has anybody found a better set.

From a number of years experience (admittedly a few years ago now) of writing vehicle routing and scheduling software (in the days before it became a consumer product) we found that more than 3 road classes were actually needed.

O how I wish I could get my hands on the source code...

AJ

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
I considered tweaking them, but I've found that leaving them at the default settings works well enough for most (but not all) types of journeys. So I didn't bother changing them from the default settings.

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
Not played with them on the Civic, did on TomTom 3, it knocked 10 minutes of the expected trip to work!

·
Enthusiastic Supporter
627 Posts
and you got there?

(exactly the same time as before :rolleyes:)

·
Registered
347 Posts
O how I wish I could get my hands on the source code...
Drool [smilie=tongue.gif]

That would sort out the POI problems as well.

Trouble is Honda wouldn't like it very much. But if they won't fix it themselves...:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
from memory, I upped the MWay speed to 80.

not because I go that fast, but I found that it made it more likely to use them that way :)

Mind - this was on day 1, when I was trying to work out why it wanted me to divert through the middle of Newport to get to Bristol from Cardiff...

(was before I'd RTFM and the route settings had been set to 'avoid MWays' :oops: )

then never got round to changing the speeds back...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts