2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else finding that the their sat nav takes you off main roads and down little country lanes for no reason. No traffic warnings so can’t be for a re-route. It seems to do it every time I use the sat nav. I’ve tried changing the route options but still the same

·
Super Moderator
2,257 Posts
have you got fastest or shortest route set
that could be the difference
personally I think the garmin satnav is ****
my stand alone tom tom is light years ahead of the built in unit

·
4,360 Posts
My stand alone Garmin DS61 is much better as well. And you can add speed cameras with proximity alerts.

·
Super Moderator
2,257 Posts
for me its the routes it trys to take you that's my main gripe

1 route I do quite often the garmin plans it with a 4 mile detour right into centre of town rather than turning you off before town
it takes you a mile past location then turns you back via a real busy area
so its not the shortest or quickest route
and cant even say the roads it by passes are new or unclassified

I do know from wagon drivers that garmin and tom tom are better than each other in certain areas but the inbuilt version is below standard

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just use Waze through CarPlay which always seems fine to me and has all the speed camera's listed and up to date hazard information

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a standalone Garmin in my Mk 8 and the built in unit in the Mk 10. Both had the same desire to send you down the narrowest, windy roads they could.

Garmin units seem to want to send you the most direct route, regardless of what road it is. You can tell it to avoid Motorways etc, but not roads below B-road status (i.e. horrid single lane tracks).

Was in deepest, darkest Cornwall visiting mother-in-law recently and took young 'un to Trebar Gardens to meet neighbours who happened to be nearby at the same time. Not knowing the way, I decided to trust the sat-nav. 30 harrowing minutes of single lane farm tracks barely wide enough for one car to fit down later, I decided Google maps was a better guide to going back...

Oddly though, the standalone unit would give speed camera alerts, which the built in one does not

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Yes , it likes to cut corners between main roads no matter what the settings especially in rural areas. It has sent me up some right rough tracks. Soon learnt to question it and ignore its advice when it doesn't feel right if I have a rough idea of what route I could be using.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
I never use the built in unit and I think Honda with all their R&D knowledge and buying power just didn't bother doing any of their homework on this one, they could learn a thing or two from Google which is the system of choice for me, I have only used the built on system once and it won't get used again.... ever! How can a sat nav system be so bad!!!!!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
4,360 Posts
How can a sat nav system be so bad!!!!!
It isn't "So bad!!!!!", it's just not very good. Garmin have had the routing problem reported here for years but seem reluctant or incapable of doing anything about it, despite a lot of direct feedback from users.
In the UK, most, but not all, of the gripes that I have read have been about the West Country.
Honda have had it dumbed down when compared with Garmin's own high end offerings.

No easy way of getting speed cams on it and getting them to work 'properly' . No doubt brought about by the fact that they are illegal in some countries.

FM Traffic rather than DAB based. The FM data seems to only be for M-Ways and other major roads. The DAB traffic is much better.

In my limited experience, I have found that no built in SatNav in any make of car is very good, esp. when compared with the stand alone equivalent. Not only that but the option costs a horrendous amount of money.

·
I Hate tailgaters!
1,404 Posts
My old pioneer in my mk8 was poor until software upgraded then annoyances disappeared. It learnt a route you prefer if using a regular run. When inputting a route would give you 6? Colour coded options. Then you picked your choice to use.
This thing is barmy. Inorder to get from M5 to M6 toll I have to put a way point in on M42 after M6 turn off then on M6 toll or it routes me M5 to M6 to country roads to M6 toll. Nutty as they come. Have had to create waypoint locations to force it to take me my preferred route. M6 toll booths north & south and various others. I still carry a big map on back seat just incase I need to look at an area to see the bigger picture rather than rely on satnav.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts