6 Posts
All Greetings! At me a problem! The child sat
in the machine, has pulled out a disk of
navigation and was a little played! After that
the disk is strongly scratched! Attempts it to
polish to sense have not given! Now I without
a disk, And the most part of functions without
it do not work!!! There are no adjustments! To
buy new dearly and it would not be desirable!
Please help!

At me Honda Civic 5d 2006 1.8 MT SOHC i-VTEC Executive.

in advance Thanks Huge!!!! I had such disk!
http://www.honda.lv/lv/models/intro/index.php?show_model=civic5d
Satellite Navigation system Navteq Trafficmaster V-Trafic
Europe 2006 APN2 V3.03

mail: [email protected]
Aleksandrs Muhanbergs
+371 29673296
Pliz!!!

*Edit by TTDegs to remove some bits (see post below)

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Hi Elik, welcome aboard :D

sorry to hear you are having problems though :(

Unfortunately, the Honda Sat Nav disc is copyright, and therefore we cannot allow links to pirate copies to be posted on this site - even though I fully appreciate that you are not after an illegal copy.

I would strongly suggest that you have a good read of the other threads in here, and I'm sure that you will end up with a solution :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
There are stores which offer repair on scratched disks in the UK. stores like blockbuster. dont know bout latvia though.

·
Administrator
21,238 Posts
The one I heard that seemed to work best was using toothpaste as a rubbing compound.

And to rub from centre to edge and NOT round in circles.

If the DVD is trashed anyway then no harm in trying.

·
King of the rodeo
4,830 Posts
I did a little web search into this and found the follow advice, don't blame me if it doesn't work, but what have you to lose?!

If you have two things: a clean sock and some toothpaste, you can fix your scratched CD’s for free. Here's how:

1. Blow the dust off your CD.

2. Put a clean sock over one of your hands.

3. Squeeze some toothpaste (about the size of a marble) onto the sock.

4. Hold the scratched CD, bottom up, in your other hand.

5. Starting from the inside of the CD, and working outward like the spokes of a wheel, rub the toothpaste onto the CD. (Don't rub back and forth—rub from inside to out, pick up the sock, and start again from inside to out.)

6. Coat the entire underside of the CD with toothpaste.
(Never swipe the disc in a circular motion. Always pretend you are tracing straight spokes of a wheel.)

7. Use a clean, dry part of the sock to now wipe the toothpaste off the disc, again using spoke-like strokes (do not use water).

8. Play the CD. If it still skips, repeat steps 4-7.

Toothpaste just happens to be the right consistency for filling in the scratches on the plastic coating and withstanding the heat of the laser, while allowing it to read what is on the disc without any problems. The same method works on DVDs and game discs.
You may not believe me, but I have done this to my CDs for years, and I've never had to repeat the process more than once. Some record stores even use the toothpaste method to fix the used CD’s before putting them out on the racks to be sold. It only takes a minute, and your discs should sound as good as new.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Apparently car polish is a very good solution as well.
I'm going to try it on one of my own cd's very soon, but it's very scratched so I don't expect much joy.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi Elik

Before you waste your DVD using toothpaste not sure that would work unless you use it to gently grind down the plastic layer with scratches in, not fill in the scratches like CP says can't see the lazer reading anything after it's got a thick white layer on it although it will have a minty fresh taste and smell. (Just reminds me of the time I think blue peter said toothpaste can be used to stick pics on the wall instead of bluetack, It didn't work either by the way ;))

I would try sticking it in your computer and trying to copy it to another DVD, as long as you use Duel Layer DVD's to rewrite to. This would be your best option apart from ordering a new disk or using a proper solution for repairing the DVD surface.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Apparently car polish is a very good solution as well.
I'm going to try it on one of my own cd's very soon, but it's very scratched so I don't expect much joy.
Gav you could also try the CD & DVD Cleaner & Restorer Polish from Maplin, stinks of solvent but really works a treat on my old DVD's with what looked like DVD rot nothing could read them fully, the set allowed me to read and copy them to the computer for safety.

I don't think it cost much more than £5

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Attempts to change a disk at the dealer have appeared are useless! Mechanical defects on fault of the client do not vary! Here such has received the answer! Tried to polish a disk - too unsuccessfully! I shall search where to copy! If I shall not find it is necessary to buy! :(

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
I think when cleaning a CD/DVD you should be VERY careful with it.

Also from http://159.148.87.6/berg/8.JPG image it seems that you have scratched the "top layer" of the CD; if you do this then they are pretty much irrepairable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There is no it not I has scratched! It just scratchs from navigating system! But by detailed consideration it is visible that do not reach a layer of record of a scratch! I think that if you pull out the navigating disk that on it there will be too many scratchs! So I advise to make a copy, to not get in the same situation as I! :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts