2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having installed the new satnav DVD 3.40 I'm still astonished about the bad up-to-dateness regarding the maps at least in Germany.

Our dwelling zone has been established 11 years ago now but the roads still stops nearly 1 kilometer before.

What about your experiences with updated maps?

Attachments

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
After having installed the new satnav DVD 3.40 I'm still astonished about the bad up-to-dateness regarding the maps at least in Germany. Our dwelling zone has been established 11 years ago now but the roads still stops nearly 1 kilometer before. What about your experiences with updated maps?
Patchy - the problem is the maps themselves (which Honda and the SatNav maker have no control over) - some countries, or parts of countries, are very poor at updating 'minor changes' ...

I've got version 3.33 - it insists that my house doesn't exist - the street numbering system was changed about 7 years ago - I was no.19, but became no.35 - but there's no no.35 in the SatNav system, and my house is still shown as no.19 ...

But, Google Maps and 'CoPilot Live8' both have the correct number - go figure ! ... it could be that the SatNav maker isn't "splashing out" on official map data ...

·
Registered
300 Posts
I often find particularly if leaving the main road that you are not on the Digitised map (or whatever if says) Also small hamlets and villages are often not on the map but this is the same with my Partners Land Rover Discovery too.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Patchy - the problem is the maps themselves (which Honda and the SatNav maker have no control over) -
But, Google Maps and 'CoPilot Live8' both have the correct number - go figure ! ... it could be that the SatNav maker isn't "splashing out" on official map data ...
As far as I know there are only 2 big companies providing digital maps for all the navi producer.
Why don't they use the actual maps like TomTom, Navigon, IGO etc.?

·
Registered
300 Posts
I guess that's the draw back with having Sat-Nav running of a disk it can't update like the Portable Sat-Nav devices can

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They can't do online updates, thats true.

But all portable satnav manufacturer are able to provide up to date maps at least once a year, why not the others?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Afaik Honda navigation unit is from Alpine and they use Navteq maps. Bear in mind it's up to manufacturer (Honda in this case) to select what set of maps they want to include. They might have not selected the very latest updates for various reasons (cost etc). Go to NAVTEQ Maps and Traffic and type in your address in the search field and you'll see their latest map.

·
9,228 Posts
Afaik Honda navigation unit is from Alpine and they use Navteq maps. Bear in mind it's up to manufacturer (Honda in this case) to select what set of maps they want to include. They might have not selected the very latest updates for various reasons (cost etc). Go to NAVTEQ Maps and Traffic and type in your address in the search field and you'll see their latest map.
Just checked - and sure enough - my house is still numbered as 19, not 35 ! - yet Google Maps \ Navigation and 'CoPilot Live 8' (all on my smartphone) are bang up to date ! ...

·
9,228 Posts
I've just dropped NAVTEQ a little (negative) feedback, referring them to this Thread - would be good, if others would do the same ! ...

It's piss-poor, when the SatNav on my phone (CoPilot Live8) is spot-on, for the stunning outlay of £60 for the whole of Europe, yet I paid over £200 for Honda's V.3.33 DVDs, that are many years out of date in places !!! ...

·
9,228 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Interesting. If you have access to a Garmin unit or a Navigon unit you can check your location on the unit as they also use Navteq maps (Tomtom uses Teleatlas).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts