2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Goodnight. I have a problem with the clock of my sat nav.

From today I have a problem that does not synchronize the clock of the sat nav and clock of the car. I searched the forum and saw a recurring problem, but it is different from mine.

My problem is in the date of the sat nav, I don't know why it has the date of 05/20/2002. Why is the satellite time wrong?

For this reason, it is not synchronized with the car clock. If I go into a garage where there is no satellite signal, I can change the time in the secret menu. At that time, it synchronizes the clock with the car's clock. All work well. But once I go out to the street and catch a signal, it changes to the date of 2002.

Is someone having the same problem? If I am alone, what is the module that is failing? the dvd or the radio module where are the controls? I put some photos for you to see.

I NEED HELP!!!

Vehicle Clock Personal luxury car Gas Machine

·
i-Vtec
5,385 Posts
Google translate says;

Goodnight. I have a problem with the time of my sat nav.

As of today I have a problem that does not synchronize the time of the browser with that of the car. I searched the forum and saw a recurring problem, but it is different from mine.

My problem is in the time of the satellite navigation, I don't know why it has the date of 05/20/2002. Why is the satellite time wrong?

For this reason, it is not synchronized with the car clock. If I go into a garage where there is no satellite signal, I can change the time in the secret menu. At that time, synchronize the time with the car's time. But once I go out on the street and catch a signal, it changes to the date of 2002.

is someone having the same problem? If I am alone, what is the module that is failing? the dvd or the radio module where are the controls? I put some photos for you to see.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Goodnight. I have a problem with the clock of my sat nav.

From today I have a problem that does not synchronize the clock of the sat nav and clock of the car. I searched the forum and saw a recurring problem, but it is different from mine.

My problem is in the date of the sat nav, I don't know why it has the date of 05/20/2002. Why is the satellite time wrong?

For this reason, it is not synchronized with the car clock. If I go into a garage where there is no satellite signal, I can change the time in the secret menu. At that time, it synchronizes the clock with the car's clock. All work well. But once I go out to the street and catch a signal, it changes to the date of 2002.

Is someone having the same problem? If I am alone, what is the module that is failing? the dvd or the radio module where are the controls? I put some photos for you to see.

I NEED HELP!!!

View attachment 323090
I have exactly the same issue here in the UK; the date is set to the same as yours and the time is an hour ahead. Must be an issue with the GPS system as a whole? I guess we'll just have to wait a few days and see if it corrects itself 🤷‍♂️
Bumper Window Vehicle Gas Motor vehicle

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I think i know what is the problem. Our sat nav must have a system of 10bits (1024values). Each value is one week. 1024 values are 7168days. I saw this article in Spanish that talks about the problem and just adding the dates comes out yesterday, Monday 03/01/2022.

Article in spanish

So our system can synchronize the time with the satellites for those 7168 days. After that date (03/01/2022) our gps are out of date with respect to the satellites and I understand that it goes back to the first registration date (20/05/2002) What the f..k!

Here the calculations:

Rectangle Font Line Parallel Pattern

I understand that it is a Honda or Alpine problem but difficult to solve. All of us who have sat nav the same thing happens to us, I understand that during these days more people will report the problem.

I think there is little we can do, it is a computer architecture problem.

Problems with this:

1-
The car clock may not be on the correct time. This can be solved by setting or removing summer time from the settings.
2-When programming the GPS instead of setting the arrival time, since the car does not know what time it is, it will set the arrival time at the destination (although in the configuration we have the arrival time set)
3-When changing the summer time or going to another country, we lose the automation of the time change that our sat navs offered us.
4-If we ask the time the system is by voice it will always tell us "ZERO"

Although they are minor things, to me personally it bothers me a lot. Someone was stupid knowing that our sat navs had an expiration date and did nothing to solve it (I don't know if honda or alpine). And have in some case 13 years or less of service.

I do not know if an action is possible to protest against honda and that they can correct this problem (I do not think that it can be done by software)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just noted that the time on my clock was an hour ahead yesterday and wondered why, so this thread explains it.

I had also read there was a suspicion Y2K22 might be an issue and I guess this is an example of that.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Known issue:

Affecting CRVs mostly.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
I have exactly the same issue here in the UK; the date is set to the same as yours and the time is an hour ahead. Must be an issue with the GPS system as a whole? I guess we'll just have to wait a few days and see if it corrects itself 🤷‍♂️
View attachment 323096
Mine is also an hour out for the same reason - however when I changed the clock settings (tried manual timezone and manual daylight saving) the clock in the car didn't change.

@Mike63 - how do you get that menu? Not seen that one before.

·
Administrator
MY22 Jazz EX Hybrid
22,541 Posts
To enter the menu hold down the "map" , "menu" and "backup" button on the dash, after 2 or 3 seconds the diagnostics menu pops up

Reactions: Mike63

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ah this has been driving me mad the past couple of days! I suspected some sort of Y2K22 issue and this confirms it. Some more info from Honda here: Clock Faults - Official Honda Responses

We have escalated the NAVI Clock Issue to our Engineering Team and they have informed us that you will experience issue from Jan 2022 thru August 2022 and then it will auto-correct. Please be assured that we will continue to monitor this and will advise you if a fix is available before that time.

We have just received some more information regarding this and were advised that the Honda technical department are currently working on this.

Once there is a fix for this issue Honda authorized dealers will be made aware of it and will be able to assist with this at that point.

As such it would be best to check with your local Honda authorized dealer for any updates as they would have the latest information for this and will be able to assist once the fix is released.

They can also contact the Honda technical department for additional assistance with this if necessary.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I saw the subject of August in the crv forum that they had told the acura people about. sounds weird. That it is solved only in August is not credible because it is a 10-bit limitation. that by firware they change the date from 2002 to 2022 is another thing. but in 19 years there will be the same problem. will be very unproblematic by 2030, that's true

·
Administrator
MY22 Jazz EX Hybrid
22,541 Posts
Another explanation :

“It hasn’t been in the news much but yesterday the date was written by many computers as 2201010001 (YYMMDDHHMM).” said this 2007 Honda CR-V owner.

Many older computers that store the date this way cannot handle any number bigger than 2147483647, so as soon as the year began with a 22, it fails and can no longer register the date/time correctly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I saw the subject of August in the crv forum that they had told the acura people about. sounds weird. That it is solved only in August is not credible because it is a 10-bit limitation. that by firware they change the date from 2002 to 2022 is another thing. but in 19 years there will be the same problem. will be very unproblematic by 2030, that's true
I was thinking this as the last GPS week rollover should have been in 2019, unless Honda is doing something weird in their software (not surprising) it sounds more like the number storage issue like the one mentioned in @Kremmen's reply above. However I'm not quite sure why this issue would resolve itself in August.

·
Registered
230 Posts
However I'm not quite sure why this issue would resolve itself in August.
It wont.

The Honda USA statement on the CRV site clearly says that thats when they intend to have a fix by.

Clearly, Honda USA isnt seeing or classifying it as urgent. Most models affected a a decade or more old so why bother? Not like a clock hinders the way a car drives!

·
Registered
12 Posts
It wont.

The Honda USA statement on the CRV site clearly says that thats when they intend to have a fix by.

Clearly, Honda USA isnt seeing or classifying it as urgent. Most models affected a a decade or more old so why bother? Not like a clock hinders the way a car drives!
They said it'd "auto-correct" which implies to me that however weird way they're storing the current time means that after the 8th month it stops wrapping around. However if that's the case then I wouldn't be surprised if in 2023 the same thing happens. Anyway I'm just speculating so could be way off the mark for the actual reason behind it! As a software engineer this stuff is interesting to me. A recent example: Microsoft fixes harebrained Y2K22 Exchange bug that disrupted email worldwide . I once had a microwave oven that would allow you to program the timer for 1 minute and 70 seconds or more which was amusing.

And it does matter, it triggers my OCD! 😄 Maybe I'll tape a small clock over that part of the LCD lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They said it'd "auto-correct" which implies to me that however weird way they're storing the current time means that after the 8th month it stops wrapping around. However if that's the case then I wouldn't be surprised if in 2023 the same thing happens. Anyway I'm just speculating so could be way off the mark for the actual reason behind it! As a software engineer this stuff is interesting to me. A recent example: Microsoft fixes harebrained Y2K22 Exchange bug that disrupted email worldwide . I once had a microwave oven that would allow you to program the timer for 1 minute and 70 seconds or more which was amusing.

And it does matter, it triggers my OCD! 😄 Maybe I'll tape a small clock over that part of the LCD lol
it's not because it's my research. But it is surprising about the 10bits of capacity to synchronize that I put in post 5. It is just the days that those 10 bits are able to store the difference between 03 / jan / 2022 and 20 / May / 2002, which is the date at the time which restarted my sat nav.

For me its the real reason.it's a clarifying coincidence

·
Registered
8 Posts
Following as my 2010 Civic EX GT clock was an hour out at the beginning of this year, disconnected battery and now clock is completely screwed as it started upon power up it went to 01:00. So I am thinking that a temporary workaround will be to disconnect battery at this time.

Poking around the Sat NAV menu I did look at clock adjustment but nothing seemed to change clock, although WET Time is always showing 00:00 (not sure what this is).

1 - 20 of 77 Posts