2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
4,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a note on several topics that have been raised here before.
I took my car in today with the following problems.

1. The satnav car position wanders off the road into the nearby field etc by about 1/2" on the screen.

2. The front pair of parking sensors 'go off' randomly even when not raining.

3. Annoying low level whistle from the Aircon.

The outcome of the day's investigation was as follows.

1. As luck would have it, the marker wandered off on the test drive and the mechanic videoed it. He is going to send the video to Honda and said that they were awaiting a software update to 'fix' it.

2. Again luckily, the front sensors 'went off' on the dry test drive. Honda know about this problem and are 'working on it'. I suspect that the peeps who have had their grille changed are part of this ongoing investigation.
What I would like to know is; how hard can it be to fit a pair of ultrasonic transducers on the front of a car? I have fitted third party ones to the front of 4 cars and never had a problem, apart from the very occasional beep when it is raining. Nothing like the 30 second alert that I had yesterday in the dry on my 10G.

2. The mechanic could hear the whistle, which stops if you switch the fan off, and is contacting Honda about the problem. I don't think this is an isolated case as I have noticed a couple of other posts here with similarly sounding symptoms. I informed him of this, but he has not heard that one before (no pun intended), but admits to knowing about 1 and 2. I suspect it's the airflow through/across one of the pipes etc resonating like a flute or something similar.

So the outcome of visit was my 10G three, Honda nil, even when playing on their own ground. The prognosis was 'Wait and see what Honda comes up with'. I shall not be holding my breath waiting for that to happen anytime soon.

On a different note, while my car was in doc, I was loaned a 9G Civic. The ride is noticeably more choppy than the 10G and is similar to the 10G when you switch on the dynamic damping (or whatever they call it) which 'stiffens it up' quite a lot.

·
Super Moderator
21,005 Posts
There do seem to be quite a few quality issues with the 10G. Was it rushed to market because the 9G sales were below par.

Regarding suspension, my 9G is lovely after the 8G hard as nails setup.

Hope they fix the issues but as you say, don't hold your breath.

·
Earth Dreams :)
927 Posts
The issue with the AC is just not 10G civic related. Our 2016 CRV has this issue and has got worse overtime, to the point on long journeys, it gives me a headache..

·
Registered
368 Posts
A/C whistle is a known problem in the states. Check civx and you'll find a thread. IIRC it's also mentioned on honest John. Reply from Honda so far is that is a Characteristic of the car. Although off the record someone mentioned a design flaw causing the resonance you hear as a whistle.

·
4,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reply from Honda so far is that is a Characteristic of the car. Although off the record someone mentioned a design flaw causing the resonance you hear as a whistle.
In that case I'm surprised that they don't shrug off the false alarms from the front sensors a 'characteristic' rather than piss poor design.
Yeah, the aircon plays itself like a flute. Must be air flowing over a resonant cavity or something.

·
Earth Dreams :)
927 Posts
A/C whistle is a known problem in the states. Check civx and you'll find a thread. IIRC it's also mentioned on honest John. Reply from Honda so far is that is a Characteristic of the car. Although off the record someone mentioned a design flaw causing the resonance you hear as a whistle.
If it was like this from new I would accept the characteristic aspect.. but it was quiet when new, just heard the air rushing through the ducts.. the whistle has gotten worse I cover time..
Mentioned it to my local Honda dealer and to be fair they said they would look at IT.. he mentioned leaves trapped in the inlet .. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry..

·
4,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine was like it from new in Dec. It is either the airflow resonating or the fan itself, as it stops when you stop the fan. I will try blocking off various vents when I get the urge (if I can find them all) and see if any one(s) is/are causing it.
If I turn the fan up too much, the airflow through the vents drowns it out.
PS. 'gotten' is a horrible Americanism and 'got' is much easier to type.:surprise:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Any updates for the wandering satnav?

Compared to the 9G connect unit, the 10G is slow to lock and is still wandering, even gets compass direction backwards.

The 9G leaving from the same garage immediately locks onto sats most of the time unless it has done a reset and then knows whether I'm driving north south east or west even if not fully locked on.

Did they delete a magnetic compass from the new unit and depend solely on GPS? It feels like it.

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
Any updates for the wandering satnav?

Compared to the 9G connect unit, the 10G is slow to lock and is still wandering, even gets compass direction backwards.

The 9G leaving from the same garage immediately locks onto sats most of the time unless it has done a reset and then knows whether I'm driving north south east or west even if not fully locked on.

Did they delete a magnetic compass from the new unit and depend solely on GPS? It feels like it.
Do I detect PRAISE for the 9G Connect unit?

Colour me horrified.

How about that tesla style headunit on ebay then? :laugh:

Whoever is speccing the head unit needs to be woken up or given a budget; They have the fancy driving tech, but they can't seem to sort out a satnav, phone and music? :facepalm6:
A smooth ICE experience, both in setup and in general use (I'm looking at you, staggeringly slow 9G Unit) is once of the basic quality measures.
No wonder I couldn't get the 10G head unit on at the dealer! :laugh:

·
4,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Whoever is speccing the head unit needs to be woken up or given a budget;
They have been given a budget. It's just not big enough. You would have thought that Honda/Garmin would have got the wander sorted out by now, along with the damn front proximity beepers that keep going off for no reason.

·
Super Moderator
21,005 Posts
I've been underwhelmed by the Honda Connect unit since it was introduced in 2015. The continual posts here with problem after problem after problem.

It was this single change that stopped me buying a 2016 top of the range Civic and keeping my 2013 model with the Alpine unit.

Even now, with posts like this I'm glad I held off.

As hinted, I think it's time Honda called it a day and called in another company who can do the job properly, Android ICS still, I ask you. As far as Android users go only 0.4% of users are still using it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Has anyone found out or knows of a solution to the noisy a/c?

Thanks

Paul:smile3:

·
4,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I sent a recording of mine to the dealer a week or so ago. He forwarded it to Honda CS who forwarded it to 'the factory'. Nothing heard (from Honda) since. If I do get the 'it's a characteristic of the car' (It isn't as my dealer has not heard the whistle in any other 10G that he has had through the workshop since I first complained in January) reply, I shall ??????

If yours does it, then complain vociferously to your dealer. The more people that complain, the more likely they are to do something about it. If necessary, exaggerate the amount by which it pisses you off.

I am 95% certain that the whistle comes from the evaporator that is located in the centre section, just to the right of the passengers foot well. If you pop out the glove box, you can see the air ducting from it. And that's where the noise is loudest.

·
4,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A/C whistle is a known problem in the states. Reply from Honda so far is that is a Characteristic of the car. Although off the record someone mentioned a design flaw causing the resonance you hear as a whistle.
Well, I had my A/C recall done today. No more whistle. Yipee.:grin2::grin2:
Seems that it was as you say. A pipe has been shortened by 16mm, or so my Honda man says, which has got rid of the organ pipe effect. So my 95% guess was wrong.

Only the Front beepers, map wandering off and Auto Start Stop to go.
My man fitted a new the battery as well today to try to sort it, even though my battery tested out 100% OK, but it hasn't made the ASS spring into life:frown2:.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts