2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question, has anyone who has had the factory fitted SATNAV as an option (ie. Anyone who has it other then EX owners) advised there insurance company they have this as a mod? If so did it make a diference to the price of your insurance?

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
If it's factory fitted it's not a mod surely but part of the standard spec
But it isn't part of the standard spec, unless you have an EX. On a Type S it would be an option.

True, it couldn't be nicked from the car, but might make the car overall more attractive to theft - if the thief was sufficiently clued up to notice the different dashboard.

A bit off topic, but factory fitted 18" wheels would be classified as a mod.

Crazyjammer - the safest option would be tell the insurance company, and if you're not happy with the quoted price, go elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Yes, but is a factory fitted option, that is the difference, not one that you have purchased from Halfrauds.
Agree that it is an option - however I don't believe this is the issue - the issue is that the Type S doesn't come with Satnav as standard, only the EX does and as such, the safest course of action would be to tell the insurance company as a Type S with Satnav is no longer standard.

I believe that the point the car is modified from standard spec (whether at the factory, at the dealer, or by the owner) is irrelevant - The fact is that the car is no longer 'standard'

Similar thread here : http://www.civinfo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6342

·
Registered
62 Posts
This can't be right, is it?
I thought mods generally mean things done after collection of the new car - so any fitting done by dealer before collection (such as citypack, footwell, bumpers, etc ...) doesn't not count as a mod - is this correct?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I was told by my ins. co. that factory or dealer fitted stuff does not count.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
A good rule of thumb is to always tell your Insurance Company.
I know it might give them an excuse to charge you more,but being covered is what is important.
Just not worth the risk of being uninsured.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I informed the insurance company of all the extras, Rage, SatNav etc. They said it didnt make a difference, but I said in the event of a total loss claim would they stump up the additional £3,000 and they said yes, so at least Its covered.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts