2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if anyone it is possible just the satnav screen to a fn2 type r keeping the original cd player? just for keeping the original climate display working (which is attached to the satnav cluster) and using the satnav screen for dvd playback? im using a rockford fosgate 3sixty.2 on the original cd player so an aux input for audio is covered..
seems like everyone wants to try for the whole satnav kit ( A pretty overwhelming idea! ) where just the display screen could be a cheaper and more entertaining addition to a fn2.

·
Mugenised CR-Z GT
502 Posts
I'm going going to say no as it is all designed to work together, you could always check by just unplugging the radio unit and see if the climate control still works. But tbh I'm thinking it could be more hassle than it's worth

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
If the climate displays from both types share the same plug, then yes... I don't think the Sat Nav versions display anything extra? Even if they don't share the plug, I'm sure you could modify the wiring.

As for the main sat nav screen, the connectors are mainly for the RGB video signals... just a case of working out which is which...

I think in theory your idea will work :)

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
A lot of work, just to have a DVD screen ! - much more useful and easier to fit a 7" screen Tablet (on a Brodit mount) - a Samsung Galaxy Tab or HTC Flyer would be ideal - they accept a "twin" SIM card, have 3G / Wi-Fi / GPS and you can install SatNav (like CoPilot Live 8) on them …

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
still considering

hey everyone thanks for your quick replys.
i guess what im aiming for is using the satnav screen as a slave monitor in the dash to keep a neat and clean dash without the "stick on tom tom look" with all that wiring and stuck on stalk stuff. it tells thieves that i could be lazy enough to leave a navman in the glove compartment.
i have read that on the screen side of things that a lot of people have already modded them to accept lots of different video sources through a diy plug adapter to an rca.
as for the climate control display side of things, i imagine if they do not have identical plugs on the back for some strange reason (thanks then honda!) than grafting the looms will be needed.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey i just found a photo of a satnav screen with the climate display next to it. the climate display looks identicle on its display to the original red fn2 display.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well the satnav screen arrived yesterday and it looks like it was removed from the car by a mountain gorilla with a garden fork! honestly it was more scratched up and knocked around than it needed to be. anyhow after some looking on the web i found a good youtube on removing scratches from acrylic/perspex. 400 wet dry, 1200 wet dry, brasso and then autosol and it is looking a lot better. unfortunately the tinting is now gone on the perspex now. im going to tape it up and give it a hit with a spray can and then take it to a auto window tinter and then im sure it will come up fine.
as for the connections on the back & looking at the civinfo wiki, the climate display plug and wiring is im pretty sure the same. i dropped into the local honda dealer and naturally asked about a wiring schematic and got the initial "sorry but we do not deal with anything to do with honda u.k" bullcrap.
ironic that they are so quick to distance themselves from a blantantly built in england car and imported by honda australia. fortunately a young aprentice mechanics ear caught the conversation and handed me a photocopy piece of paper with "this did not happen!!!!" AWESOME! my greatest thanks heartfully go out to him. so never dispair there is hope.
anyhow im up to ordering a sloping dash top panel from lings parts and hopefully they can help me out there (just waiting for their reply).
now im looking to decipher the monitor screen wiring. (18 wires on the plug) i assume it requires obviously. power, ground, accesory on and from some reading, a rgb composite signal. hmmmm therefore i'd need something to convert a rca into a composite signal and hopefully im getting somewhere.
many thanks to all who have helped and any help is always appreciated.
regards.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the satnav screen project is over!
dispite the plugs on the back of both the aircon displays being the same. ie (non satnav and nav) they do display a different output and thus the display once plugged in is jush a mish mash of led jumble. therefore i would suggest unless someone has a lot of time to research into it, the aftermarket screen would be the easier option.
buyer beware though, the dash facia is quite prone to scratches and wreckers are not so careful when extracting these parts so unless you view them yourself. they can arrive in far worse shape than described.
oh well hope this helps anyone out there,
best regards paul

·
ivtec just kicked out,YO!
1,007 Posts
Hi!
Hope nobody minds that I'm bringing this subject back to life. Does anybody know how to convert segment LCD display data to PAL video/picture data so all the info from old display would be visable on the sat nav display?
Or anybody has any info/schematics of the signal going to standard segment LCD?

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
I have the datasheet of the LCD controller IC in the LCD subdisplay. It does not seem to be easy to decode the segments stream back to something legible and/or make a PAL video signal. But if you are good at microcontrollers or FPGAs it should not be too complicated.

·
1,007 Posts
I'm a software developer so I could at least try to make sense out of it. It would be of enormous help to me if you could send it to me!
In that case it does not have to be pal out, it would be enough if I could decode signal from standard segment LCD to display on small segment LCD next to satnav display.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Most of the people here are not IT experts this is why I was so careful. :)

I do not have exactly what you need but some information you can start with.

The OKI MSM6775 is the LCD driver IC I found in the satnav LCD subdisplay (I have a complete satnav display assembly as I wanted to make a carpc once but was hit hard by the economic downturn and suspended this project). So this is the small LCD display, not the big one in the cars without satnav. I do not know if the same IC is used in the big LCD display. I also made an experiment and exchanged the big display with this small one but nothing was readable. Maybe this is because the big display has a lot more segments that is the driver IC uses more common planes and the data structure is quite different. Another important thing is the circuit in the small LCD is just this OKI IC and some resistors and capacitors (for the internal oscillator and for smoothing the power supply).

You can also find some hints in this link Digital Clock on how to decode segments. I was thinking about contacting the author and ask for the source code to save some time but have not gone that far.

Here Audio connections - Civinfo Wiki you can find the connector pinout for the subdisplay (connector D). What I do not know is if MSM6775's LOAD pin is the RST pin and BLANK pin is the CE pin in the connector. But it is easy to check with a logic analyzer.

If you manage to get some results please share with me!

Attachments

·
1,007 Posts
You have just made me this happy: :dancing: (what a geek I am!)
Thank you so much!!!!

I've looked into audio connections in wiki and head unit schematics, but that is not enough data to make a transaction from big LCD to small.
The reason small LCD showed you unreadable data is this: head unit simply sends data to the segment LCD screen to light for example segment 4,5,6 and 7 (I'm simplyfiing this big time) which on small screen means clock digits HH:MM, with HH being segments 4 and 5, MM beeing segments 6 and 7, but on big LCD those segments could be 4-TP light, 5-A/C on, and 6 and 7 first 2 letters on center part of the display. I hope you understand what I mean, shortly - everithing shifts.
So now we have to find what segment shows temperature on one and on another and rederect for example segment 9 from big display to segment 2 of small display, and repeat this for all data showable on small LCD. Kinda like this :D

I've just started to look into this like a week ago so didn't manage to get a sat nav screen yet (and since I don't think there are a lot sat nav equiped cars here it's gonna be hard to get LHD one).
I think it'll be eaven harder to keep climate control info on color display, but I'm gonna deal with this when that time (hopefully) comes, and since mine is allways on AUTO I may not be bothered at all.

So the next step is to open my big LCD and see what controller it is. Tried doing this yesterday, but couldn't get the most right 2 clips out (it's a LHD). If anybody has theirs dissasembled (or is even geeky enough to read this thread ;) ) it would save me the trouble and fear of breaking mine :p

Also one more help would be much appreciated... Since I don't have small LCD, if anybodi cen get a close up shoot of it showing all the segments on it, it would be of a big help to me till I can get my hand on one (kinda like this Faulty LCD).

If I get any progress on this I'll definitely share with you!

I saw your thread and what you tried to do. The device already exists that does something like you wanted to do, but it comes with a price (GA-NET+). They are most helpful people, but their device does a lot more than I needed it to do.
Also egomaniac has a point in using raspberry pi as a car computer... (New project Car PC with Android). It could be cheap and effective!

·
1,007 Posts
:D you're more efficient in collecting data than me!
Thank you!!!
Looks like it will develop in a join project on the forum ;)

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Just came to my mind where I got the originals of the pic.
Here http://cars.honda.ee/files/books/Civic-5D-06-ENG.pdf you can find the PDF manual and on page 237 there is the satnav LCD with all segments on.

I am still considering the carpc project but a with a slightly different scope. I would keep the original non-satnav radio, add the satnav display frame but replace the small LCD with this µLCD-28PT(GFX) - 4DGL Display Modules and the 7" TFT low resolution panel with a 1024x600 (I managed to buy this one for cheap 2 years ago http://cdn.uber.lt/ng/electronics/1306326087_lvm056wsdla_rev_0_spec_letter_dec507.pdf). And additionally a Raspberry PI or a Pandaboard ES.

So I am also interested in decoding the LCD segments data stream but I would convert it to text.

·
1,007 Posts
Idea like that was kinda my backup plan, but I think it's going to be a bit harder to do then segment LCD transformation.

And with all the documentation you presented me you made me look into my first solution a bit more. So I'm gonna research it for a while.

I prefer the OEM look, and couldn't find a better place for a sat nav screen then this, so if this falls through I'm back to my old plan and looking into replacement TFT LCDs.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just came to my mind where I got the originals of the pic.
Here http://cars.honda.ee/files/books/Civic-5D-06-ENG.pdf you can find the PDF manual and on page 237 there is the satnav LCD with all segments on.

I am still considering the carpc project but a with a slightly different scope. I would keep the original non-satnav radio, add the satnav display frame but replace the small LCD with this µLCD-28PT(GFX) - 4DGL Display Modules and the 7" TFT low resolution panel with a 1024x600 (I managed to buy this one for cheap 2 years ago http://cdn.uber.lt/ng/electronics/1306326087_lvm056wsdla_rev_0_spec_letter_dec507.pdf). And additionally a Raspberry PI or a Pandaboard ES.

So I am also interested in decoding the LCD segments data stream but I would convert it to text.
Fatia_Negra, it seems as a pretty project! I was thinking in a similar project, more basic than yours. I bought a 7" led display, and I was thinking to move the OEM display to the central glove (under the oem headunit), and mounting the LED display in its original location.

Please keep us informed about your project, it would be perfect for me!

·
Registered
95 Posts
hey i just found a photo of a satnav screen with the climate display next to it. the climate display looks identicle on its display to the original red fn2 display.
Anyone succeeded in this. I would love to use the satnav screen as rear view camera screen and to play media, keeping the whle thing as OEM as possible.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Unfortunately not. I am still suffering the consequences of the economic downturn and having no time and funding halted my project.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts