2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else find this annoying?

You set the satnav volume just as you like it.

You put on some music & turn-up the volume.

When she has something to say, the satnav mutes the front speakers but you can't make out what is being said.

You turn up the volume on the satnav so you can hear it clearly over the semi-muted music.

Some time later you kill the music & the sat nav screams directions at you so loud that you poo yer pants.

Why can't the satnav volume be linked to the stereo volume? There's a setting to make the stereo louder when you drive faster, but not to make the bird with the map speak at a useful volume, or to completely mute the stereo when she wants to tell you that you took a wrong turn.

Or am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
other than setting my sat nav to only use the front right speaker, can't say I've noticed her being too loud, or too quiet...

but that could just be me in my usual not really paying much attention mode! :lol:

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
My Sat Nav seems to be ok.

But would could argue with a lady?

Get upset tho when the radio is ticking away in the background then the RDS bit comes in with great decibles to tell you that some burk up ahead has pranged it!

Keeps me awake tho.

"Do glow-in-the-dark things stop glowing when you turn the lights on?"

Charles H.

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
I have not got this problem or not noticed it anyway.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried this again on my way home from work, changing to using right speaker only - even worse. Either the volume of the satnav bird is too low to clearly hear over the other 3 speakers, or without music on she is way too loud & intrusive.

Fact is the satnav volume is not linked to the volume of the stereo, nor to the speed of the car.

If the stereo were muted completely when satnav speaks then there would not be a problem but I just can't make anything out when the other speakers are only part muted.

I'll have a chat with the dealer.

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
I know what you mean, I had the volume down on the SatNav so if I was using the HFT at the same time the other person did not get the directions also, to be honest though I have turned the volume off on the SatNav and only turn it on when I am in and around cities.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I know what you mean, I had the volume down on the SatNav so if I was using the HFT at the same time the other person did not get the directions also, to be honest though I have turned the volume off on the SatNav and only turn it on when I am in and around cities.
Does it still mute the radio if the volume is off?

I would love to try it but I am stuck in Basel airport waiting for a delayed flight amongst a group of Brits getting ever drunker (and I think they are on my flight) :(

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Problem worked around.

By putting the front/rear fader forward this is now fine & I can hear the satnav bird over the unmuted speakers - except that I lose some bass from the music (already got bass on 6).

·
Registered
200 Posts
richierich how do you mute the lady like you say??? i want her in and around cities but only want the nav for ETA on the motorway

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Start on the main navigation screen, select options to the right and then set the volume to minimum - directions still work but the voice is muted - stereo / CD works as normal.

Cheers

Nick

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
The sat nav does have a speed sensitive setting like the radio. The problem I've found is that on low it doesn't increase enough at speed and on Medium it goes too loud as you speed up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts