2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Apologiese if this has been covered before - I've tried to search and looked in the Wiki and I can't find anything!!!

Im looking to buy a Satnav which must have the following:
  • Speed Camera Detection
  • Bluetooth Hands Free
Ive narrowed it down to the Garmin Nuvi 1490T.

Does anyone have experience of one of these or can recommend something different. I'm open to getting two systems - satnav and camera detection.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Have you looked at the 1390T? From what I can gather it's the same machine, only with slightly less issues (from reading amazon reviews at least) and a smaller screen (4"3 instead of 5").

It's what I've narrowed my search down to, it's just a matter of scraping together the funds now.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
For your speed camera database I recommend pocketgpsworld.com.

They are suppsoed to have the most comprehensive database in the country and it covers practically every make of sat nav. Subscription is £20 per year from memory.

I've used it for several years and rate their database.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
I've been using a TomTom for years (a Go510) and its never let me down - I suspect the newer ones are just as good, if not better.

I also use the Pocketgpsworld speed camera database and it seems to be pretty accurate.

My iPhone works fine Bluetooth handsfree with the TomTom as well (as opposed to my previous Sony Ericsson which didn't!)

·
Administrator
21,152 Posts
For your speed camera database I recommend pocketgpsworld.com.

They are suppsoed to have the most comprehensive database in the country and it covers practically every make of sat nav. Subscription is £20 per year from memory.

I've used it for several years and rate their database.
Absolutely correct, they have thousands of members constantly updating the database regularly.
If like me you happen to spot a new camera going up and are the first to report it you get a lifetime membership :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi

Thanks for the tip of gpspocketworld..............great site.

So if I only need hands free and maybe traffic updates...any recommendations?

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
TomTom GO520T has traffic updates (make sure you get the T version, comes with the aerial) and does hands free via bluetooth with your phone. Safety camera updates cost though, not sure how much. I used a mates 520 and was quite happy with it :)

I personally have started using CoPilot 8 on my HTC Desire, it saves having a seperate unit and it does pretty much everything quite well, so perhaps that is another option for you?

BFM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts