2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I received an email earlier today and it was an order which i have not placed, just saying it was going to charge $330 from my credit card account. I thought i've seen these before and thought nothing of it until I looked in the "send to" field as in me and it was my password for numerous forums including ebay etc now that has freaked me out.

does **** know what could have caused this and what can I do to stop this?
Has any of my accounts been compromised?

How did they know my password?

Ie from: joe bloggs etc
To: (my password)

Subject: Order number xxxxxxxxx

The "to" field freaked me out...

Help!

EDIT : The email contained a link which seemed to link to a ZIP file with my email address at the end of the link, I didnt click it, but i guess that would have caused me a whole heap of trouble?

·
I-VTEC everyday ;)
562 Posts
best way is to change all your passwords mate, but first run anti virus or anti malware on your computer and see if anything comes up, try malwareabytes its free and very good.

forgot to add, I would call up your bank and tell them the situation and cancel your cards as well just in case, don't want to end up with an empty bank account

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but i can't possibly remember what sites i go on anymore :( and if i change them all on an infected machine it will know them anyway?

I called my bank and there has been no suspicious activity on either of my bank accounts

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
best way is to change all your passwords mate, but first run anti virus or anti malware on your computer and see if anything comes up, try malwareabytes its free and very good.

forgot to add, I would call up your bank and tell them the situation and cancel your cards as well just in case, don't want to end up with an empty bank account
Prob the best advice tbh...

It could be plucking passwords from your browser if you store them there and throwing them up in your face, that email link could lead you into trouble aye...it may provide a confirmation that your email address exists.
Which would likely have your password attached to it, plucked from your browser memory.

Which browser you using?
Could be one to watch for doing the rounds...

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
but i can't possibly remember what sites i go on anymore :( and if i change them all on an infected machine it will know them anyway?

I called my bank and there has been no suspicious activity on either of my bank accounts
That doesn't mean to say there won't be...stuff could lie dormant for weeks.
I've been caught out in the past by tiny DD's pulling my money out, fortunately my bank (A&L at the time) were right on it already.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am using Chrome and sometimes use firefox, i do auto keep me logged in too, my main worry was the password is same for my ebay account which i;ve now changed didnt want anyone getting access to that!

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
You werent on the Playstation Network by any chance were you when all the user details got nicked?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
someone mentioned that on another forum, but my PSN email address is different to the one that this email was sent to

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
but is it the same password?

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Firefox - Options - Security - Saved Passwords - Show paswords

This will show site | username | password for each site you have logged onto using firefox. No idea if chrome has any such feature.

As for the email... scan your computer and change all the passwords. I'd highly advise using capitals, lower case, numbers and even special symbols such as ="§$ etc...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sounds like you may have a data key logger on your machine ie. it records your key strokes and then sends it back to the hacker.

Do a full virus, malaware scan and DON'T click or open any attachments from people you don't know.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Sounds like you may have a data key logger on your machine ie. it records your key strokes and then sends it back to the hacker.

Do a full virus, malaware scan and DON'T click or open any attachments from people you don't know.
or even from people who you do know but the email looks odd (their computer may be compromised) :popcorn2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts