2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an irritation (rarely but still seems irritating all the same), does anyone else have it? Coming off a speed bump, the ones where the brickwork or Tarmac on the other side of the hump has sunk lower than the rest of the ground level, I get a plastic scraping! Needless to say, I drive even slower over this type of bump than I do slowly anyway and then don't get a scccccrape. On inspection, it seems it could be: a) stone guard or whatever the name is under the front of the car, or b) the tray protecting the underside of the car.
Anyone else suffer this?
My car is normal height as far as I'm aware, so aren't these parts a bit low??! :facepalm:

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
The Type R has a small mud guard type thing which scrapes - mine is getting worn down it has scraped so many times. Like an early warning system for scraping the bottom of the front bumper! :)

I would have thought the 2.2 has this too? Doesn't sounds good and I always take car when approaching a speed bump or even a steep bit of road/driveway etc.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Type R has a small mud guard type thing which scrapes - mine is getting worn down it has scraped so many times. Like an early warning system for scraping the bottom of the front bumper! :)

I would have thought the 2.2 has this too? Doesn't sounds good and I always take car when approaching a speed bump or even a steep bit of road/driveway etc.
Tehe! Does it? Good to know afflicts other models. Trying to picture this, is it a mud flap right by the front tyres? The plastic thing at the front of my car is under the front nose area.

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
Not exactly in front of wheels but this pic i've just found online you can see it at the front of the car - it goes all the way across the front in 1 piece.

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
Sooner or later every 8G Civic will have that dreaded scraping noise from the rubber flaps at the front. It's inevitable. Just me thankful you're not lowered.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Yeah they are aerodynamic bits just in front of the wheels under the bumper, supposed to improve stability at high speed but I've never noticed anything with them off.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Are you on about the grey under tray that has a vent type part on it, mine used to catch most speed bumps, ripped it half off and had Honda took the rest off, the mechanic said it's not a big deal if you take it off.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Are you on about the grey under tray that has a vent type part on it, mine used to catch most speed bumps, ripped it half off and had Honda took the rest off, the mechanic said it's not a big deal if you take it off.

I was talking about the aerodynamic fins, not the undertray itseflf - but that has been known to scrape too

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Sorry Sam I meant to post it as a general comment to op, yeah them fins on mine took a hammering before the undertray got caught.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Called valances I think? At least that's what a dealer told me the other day when I popped in for some bumper clips. Like syx said - A lot of newer jap cars have them. They are flexible but they are designed to make nasty noises when you scrape them too apparently.

Gives you an indication prior to scraping the splitter off at any rate :)

They also seem to stop crud being flicked off the top of the front tyres into the back of the splitter and guard tray area.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Sorry Sam I meant to post it as a general comment to op, yeah them fins on mine took a hammering before the undertray got caught.

Ah no worries mate I just misunderstood :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yeah its a mudguard flappy thing on mine too. I found it at the worst time. Was doing 30 when a Pheasant walked out literally infront of my car, the poor bird got wedged under the flap and couldnt come out I had to reverse and drive for a bit to 'dislodge the poor thing.
Most harrowing experience ever!

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Yeah its a mudguard flappy thing on mine too. I found it at the worst time. Was doing 30 when a Pheasant walked out literally infront of my car, the poor bird got wedged under the flap and couldnt come out I had to reverse and drive for a bit to 'dislodge the poor thing.
Most harrowing experience ever!

Lots of suicidal bunnies around the south west currently .... The ones that stand next to a hedge row but actually in the road and wait for a passing car to jump under.

I drive really slow praying they choose someone else because I hate running the poor things over even if the ones waiting on the road are ill.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts