2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2009 Civic EX GT which is serviced every year by Honda.

About 2 days ago I started to hear a strange noise coming from the rear passenger side of the car.

The noise sounds like a scraping/grinding noise.

The noise only starts when the car is going over 20mph and gets worse when I put my foot on the brakes...

With the windows closed the noise sounds similar to when a CD drive is reading a CD.... but when you open the rear window it is a lot worse and sounds like metal on metal.

Is this the brake pad replacement sensor? or is it something more sinister?

I no when I had the car serviced last they reported the brakes where 60% worn.

I only do around 8k miles a year.

Thanks for any advice. I am worried to drive the car in case its something serious.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,896 Posts
It could be the pad wear indicator, or it could be a trapped stone?

A while back I had the friction material fall off the pad metal backing (!) and that made a bit of a racket when I used the brakes.

Best to have a look!

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
Exactly as Jon has said. Take a look. More likely the pads have worn as they were 60% worn a while ago. You may need discs as well as pads now

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
Fingers crossed for pads only buddy. Longer you leave though the more chance of ruining the disc so have a look soon. That is pretty steep but that's honda prices for you

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
last week i detected a slight scraping noise (os rear).took the wheel off expecting it to be "wear indicator" but pads had plenty of meat left.
it was the dust shield which had corroded and part of it was rubbing on the edge of the disc!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Honda rear disc is not good quality, they get rusted and corroded easily. Change disc and pads on mine 2 years ago and needs replacing again:(.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts