2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has recently started to make a scraping noise as though something metal is dragging underneath but there is nothing there. Stops when I stop the car.

Any ideas? brake issues?
I've had the front pads and disks done.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
as above or could be a seized caliper dragging the pads on the disc.

·
4,211 Posts
Jack the car and spin the wheels. That will identify/eliminate which wheel is causing the noise (if any). As you have had the fronts 'done', start at the back.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Honda brake backing plates (splash guards) are quite tight fitting and tiny pieces of stone easily get trapped (happened to me three times in my CRZ). Try stop-starting going forward and then reverse for short distances to try and dislodge the stone. Failing that, take wheel off and wiggle the metal plate behind brakes to see if that frees the stone.

If it is a sticky caliper, the alloy will be very hot to touch after a drive (noticeably hotter than the other alloys) as the brake is effectively being constantly applied. Sticky caliper may also cause steering to drag a little.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Would it be the rear pad wear indicators? I just changed mine, 25,000 miles. The outside pads had loads of material left on them - the inside that I couldn't see were worn down badly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts