2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I scratched my passenger side door against a fence post and it's created a fairly deep scratch that runs 3/4 of the passenger side front door. As there's also a slight dent in the door it's going to be around £150-200 to get fixed.

The dent is barely noticeable but the scratch is very obvious. I was wondering if there's any cheaper temporary fix for this to hide the scratch until I can afford the proper repair?

I heard that you can get touch up paint that can be rubbed in to disguise the scratch. Is that true? If so where could I get this?

Many thanks,

Ross

·
Registered
122 Posts
Id simply buy some touch up paint from Honda and carefully fill in the scratch. Let it dry for an hour and then re fill the scratch again as the paint will often settle in - repeat this until the new paint in the scratch is flush with the orginal paint work. Once dry get a small block of wood and wrap a cloth around it and then use T Cut ( or another Cutting polish ) to carefully polish back the excess until the new paint is level with the original paint. You can do this without the block in the cloth but by simply using your hand you will tend to polish out some of the paint in the scratch.

Dont be afraid to have a go - If you mess it up as long as you have some cellulose thinners to hand you can simply wipe the new paint off and start again.

If your car has metallic paint then it will be harder to get it near perfect, but with care you should be able to get a finish good enough that only you can spot the scratch ( beacuse you know its there ) and only when look very closely.

Good luck

·
Registered
115 Posts
Wax ? The Turtlewax colored wax sticks work wonders for temporarily hiding marks. Only lasts a week or so but hides the nasties.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Brasso wadding is great for fixing relatively light scratches and would be worth a try.

DO NOT use Brasso liquid or any form of Silvo.

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
Just use a dremel with a wire wool attachement. Make sure you mask off the damaged section first as you don't want this touching the non damaged section. Then use a touch up pen to brush on new paint. Should at least be less noticeable then.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts