2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Stuart
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks,

Got a really annoying chip on the rear quarter, just at the door. Its small, but with white paint it looks all the more obvious!

Ideally I would rather not have to sacrifice a day or two off work, so I am looking into mobile repair companies. Does anyone have any experiences to share with these? Ive seen a couple of not so pleasant reviews on chipsaway. I just want to see if these are isolated incidents, or do they indeed have team of incompetents?

I would also like any shouts for garages to take it into, since I know the mobile guys can be a bit hit/miss sometimes. Knowing my luck with these things they will send the guy with one eye and color blind.

Quality repair work is more important that price for me.

·
Stuart
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Dunno if Im not doing it right, but from my experience with touchup pens... while it makes the chip invisible from a few steps away due to the colour blending in, I can never get a flush finish.

Perhaps I just need to improve my polishing capability, or fetch a pro that is savvy with a machine to get a better finish.

Car-wise Im pretty good mechanically and electrically...but when it comes to paint I'm less than useless, and have no patience for it, as such I would feel much more comfortable having someone else be accountable for fixing it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Are you flatting the full hardened paint with 2000 grit wet and dry? Sounds scary using that on your paint but it works in conjunction with a decent abrasive polish scratch remover like Meguiars Scratch X to polish up the resultant dulled paint then some AG SRP to follow up with. Its very hard to get an invisible repair but the main trick if thats what you want to call it is to build it up over a few days. detailing world has a thread on shaving the resultant excess but the tool costs £50:(

Another tip which works sort of is nail varnish remover swiped over a blob which has not fully dried then once hard do the above method, however I have had limited success with that as it depends on the chip and if its metal or plastic its adhered to as a lot of the time its makes a mess. Sometimes a cotton bud is useful for any paint smeared onto the bodywork dipped in some meths or IPA.

·
regrets his username
7,981 Posts
You will be surprised with chips away, had my previous car done so i could get a good price trading it, they repaired a badly cracked bumper that good you couldn't see where it was, they did chips on pearlescent black again couldn't see them and my alloys were badly damaged and looked brand new after, all done on my doorstep as well, would use them again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wonder wheels on here is based in Falkirk, just refurbed my 4 alloys and did a great job, £120! Does scratches etc just now but Scott is just securing new premises in Denny and he'll be doing bodywork there. Prices are very cheap and he does good work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts