2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
If Carlsberg did Civics..
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any of you guys have replaced your dashboards? I'm slowly getting my Civic into a decent condition again but everytime I look at the dashboard I have to see loads of scratches (see pic)!

Had a chat with Dan at Hewton Honda and it looks like the best idea might be to get a Type R/S Dash cover fitted which sounds good to me as it's more resilient to scratching.

Any of you guys done this and if so how much did it set you back?

Cheers

(P.S. The scratches were made by the previous owner who looks like he used his cat to clean it :mad:.)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Ouch, that looks pretty bad.

You should upgrade and ask Dan for a goodwill gesture for it. :popcorn:

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
What the heck did the previous owner use, - a Brillo Pad.
The shiny black sections either side are recoverable, but the clear screen needs replacing, as you say.
The price for this screen, is on here somewhere, hang on till this evening and one of the mods will find it for you.

P.S. :- If you fancy cutting 50% off the cost of getting it sorted, try my cunning plan.
Do a search - Shiny black dash sections, a fix for scratches.

·
Administrator
19,165 Posts
I have found mine is scratched even though i am very careful and use a computer screen monitor cloth and spray to clean it.

·
Administrator
19,165 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
You know the screen protectors you get for mobiles and Ipods and stuff.

If you are replacing one surely it'd be wise to invest in some of this gear to prevent another big replacement expense.

They are also anti glare and can improve visibility in harsh sunlight and poorly lit conditions as they do for mobile technology.

Just a thought.

*EDIT*

Just found this

Kensington Easy-on Film Protector Filter Anti-glare for: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

**EDIT**

And this its for pc screens so some of us may hev seen or used it before.

http://www.photodon.com/c/PF.html

·
Resident Civinfo Nutter
4,451 Posts
Will probably scratch up again trying to get the things on it to be honest!

·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't realise the screen was seperate from the rest of the dash, although thats pretty bad too. Yeah I reckon the guy did use a Brillo-pad by the looks of things. The amount of things I've found 'cropping up' with the car indicates the previous owner never did his homework and was a bit of an idiot in my opinion. Hadnt fixed any manufacturers faults, random damage here and there.

I know a sort of sheath would be a wise idea but they just annoy me. Everytime I buy a new phone its the first thing I take off. I know you can never keep these things completly clean but the amount of scratches I have at the mo is unacceptable. The scratching looks particulary bad in the pic as I took it just as the sun was showing everything up.

So I'm looking at roughly 110 quid. Not too bad but will have to hold up on that for the time being, just got the last batch of repairs and 'touch ups' done. Pay day soon ;)

Cheers guys

·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Probably a stupid question but does the colour of the Type R or Type S dash cover differ from other models?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've used Displex polish on that sort of thing before, and it worked very nicely. You could try Brasso if you've got some handy or even toothpaste - as long as it's mildly abrasive it should get the scratches out.

Displex - HOME

·
Registered
204 Posts
Peter, the £110 covers the central screen only; the two either side come off as a single unit and can be replaced by the Type R version (also now standard in the 09MY), this is about £50 for the part and about the same for fitting at a Honda garage.

As for the colour of the Type R dash - it's standard across the board and matches other parts of the dash very well.

·
Move over..comming thru!!
533 Posts
warranty..

Its worth trying to get it replaced under warranty, I had the pirspex screen and the black parts either side replaced a few weeks ago - Honda accepted the claim with no hassle at all. Just take it to the dealer so he can take pics and submit a claim to Honda - why should we have to pay to replace a badly designed part of the car!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
The central rev meter suffers from the same problems on all civic models.
Got mine replaced about an year ago. I have been capable of maintaining
This piece of plastic in good shape. In one year i cleaned it for 3 times only with lcd screen cleaner and watter.

Got the dash replaced for the type-r at the same time. The year passed, and no scratches on this but i must say that the original black dash is much better then the ctr dash. Dont think that because it doesent scratch is better. This ctr dash is made of garbage plastic and rattles! I'm gone polish my old scratched black dash and get her to my civic again.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Hey Guys,

Now do not try what I am about to say if your central section isnt already in a bad state, I do not want to be held responsible for any more scratches...

But, my center bit was not great (not to bad but def needed a clean and I think had some scratches) - I used the same thing I use to do my windows, which is simply some avarage glass cleaner stuff (from the car section of tesco i think) and some newspaper to wipe it in. (does wonders on the windows!) - I found it actually did the center piece really well!!

Chris

1 - 20 of 28 Posts