2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Scratched glass at rear of Type S

3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  UJU 
#1 ·
I recently bought my car from arnold clark and wanted to remove the huge bright yellow arnold clark sticker from the rear of my back window. After checking a few forums online I saw quite a lot of people used a razor blade and lubrication to get rid of the sticky residue left behind. I had a go myself and the next day when the sunlight hit my car I noticed huge scratches where I'd used the razor blade. My OCD is getting the better of me and I need to find a way to get rid of/ hide these scratches.

Anyone got any ideas??

#8 ·
Hi.
Are your scratches on the plastic section or actually on the glass?
Glass is very hard to scratch so I'm guessing that it's the plastic lower section that you are referring to.
Depending on how bad the scratches are, try this: Toothpaste is slightly abrasive, but smokers toothpaste is slightly more abrasive. Put some on a soft cloth and vigorously rub the scratches. You will have to rub quite hard. If that doesn't work, try using "Cif" (the household cleaner) or a supermarket brand equivalent. It is very slightly "gritty" as it's designed for cleaning surfaces. I used this method on my wifes Ford headlight covers (plastic), and they came up a treat! I suggest you test try a small inconspicuous area first. Plastic scratches are fairly easy to polish out, it's just a question of finding the appropriate product to do it.
If the scratches are actually on the GLASS, then jewellers rouge (try ebay) will help to polish them out. Again, hard rubbing and some time and effort is required, but jewellers rouge will remove all but the deepest of scratches.

#9 ·
I used Biorb reef scratch remover on my spedo screen and it worked a treat, Its intended for plastic fish tanks, and only costs a few quid on E-Gay......same advice as above ^^ try it somwhere inconspicuous first.
My rear window had a scratch on it when I got the car but it was small enough to be covered with a 'CIVINFO' sticker

#10 ·
T-Cut is good for removing scratches in just about anything. It's a slow process but you'll get a good result if you stick at it.

For future reference, methylated spirits is good for dissolving glue. Use it with caution though, it will easily strip the paint off some cars and go through to the primer in no time! Not sure if it would damage the plastic window on the Civic.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.