2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, apologies, I know this has been covered a lot in other threads and virtually all of my own!

Just like a lot of other people, the perspex cover in front of the rev counter on my car is scratched. From other threads and being pointed in the right direction I thought that the Type R one was different in some way, either tougher or just simply without the film (part No. 78259-SMG-E21).

Bexleyheath Honda have been great, confirmed the price (inc. fitting at 0.4 hrs) and all seems OK. However, they say this part No. is the same for the Type R as the Type S GT. Now I'm very tempted to go ahead but am worried it will scratch just as easily (I'm very careful with it, I just use a microfibre cloth).

Could someone with a Type R confirm if a) it has the reflective film and b) if it is, then does it scratch easily? Would be great if someone could set me straight so I can finally get it fixed!

Cheers

Darren

·
Registered
185 Posts
First of all, apologies, I know this has been covered a lot in other threads and virtually all of my own!

Just like a lot of other people, the perspex cover in front of the rev counter on my car is scratched. From other threads and being pointed in the right direction I thought that the Type R one was different in some way, either tougher or just simply without the film (part No. 78259-SMG-E21).

Bexleyheath Honda have been great, confirmed the price (inc. fitting at 0.4 hrs) and all seems OK. However, they say this part No. is the same for the Type R as the Type S GT. Now I'm very tempted to go ahead but am worried it will scratch just as easily (I'm very careful with it, I just use a microfibre cloth).

Could someone with a Type R confirm if a) it has the reflective film and b) if it is, then does it scratch easily? Would be great if someone could set me straight so I can finally get it fixed!

Cheers

Darren
If you dont mind me asking, how much have they quoted you????

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not at all. £80 for the screen, £57.20 to fit. They do seem to be good there. Thing is, if it scratches so easilly what's the point? May use the suggestion in another post to just remove the film.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good tip! Seems a shame to have to do it but that's life I guess!! Wonder why they made it so prone to scratches?

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
The same goes for the lower rear screen - the coating is on the external face.
Anything designed and made by man, can be cocked up by same.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Would it be possible to apply the film that window tinters use to the plastic (clear obviously) after polishing, to protect it.

Just asking - does that stuff stick to plastic ?

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
Many on here, who have polished the anti glare off, haven't noticed much viewing change, regarding reflection etc.
I would give it a go and decide later on adding another product.

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
red moose machine glaze hides the scratches guys ;)

I do mine quite often just remember to use the softest pads and cloths you have :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the responses! Question now is do I try the magic moose or just remove the film. Am not sure......

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
Sample sent today :)

Good luck with it mate and let me know how you get on

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
First of all, many thanks to Stoney who sent me a sample, really good of him. Red Moose did seem to hide some of the lighter scratches but I had two pretty large ones that would not go. I evidently started to rub too hard and the inevitable occurred - I rubbed the film off completely. I kept going with it and now it has all gone, the screen now looks excellent. Took about 4 hours though........

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts