2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While cleaning the car at the weekend my nearest and usually dearest volunteered to clean the windows, the old vinigar, water and newspaper trick does a good job. However while I was sitting inside trying to look clever and learn the tricks of the sat nav I heard a scraping sound :oops: arrrghhh!!!!! a bracelet she was wearing had caught the glass and has left a shallow scratch about 3 inches long down the drivers side window. It's not that noticable unless you know it is there.

Is there a way of getting scratches off glass????????

·
Diesel Demon
502 Posts
..... a bracelet she was wearing had caught the glass and has left a shallow scratch about 3 inches long down the drivers side window.
Theres only one sure fire way of making sure it doesn't happen again.... :cool:

Sorry to hear of your unfortunate other half. You could try jewellers rouge to polish out the scratch, only after you've confiscated any sharp objects from your missus.

Damian

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
Smiffy, a word of warning. I think that the sidescreens are toughened glass and so are prone to shattering if too much 'work' is carried out on them. It may be better to live with the scratch if you can.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Smiffy, a word of warning. I think that the sidescreens are toughened glass and so are prone to shattering if too much 'work' is carried out on them. It may be better to live with the scratch if you can.

That's a good point WoolyCiv, it's nothing major - I just know it's there which is annoying.

Taking some of the other advice I did tell the misses that next time she offered to clean the car she would be strip searched for sharp objects, but she didn't see the funny side....... :D

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Has anyone ever tried a mild cutting paste. My brother-in-law had a bad scratch on his patio door glass and manage to remove it with some T-Cut.

I couldn't recommend it though without trying it on an old car first.

Have you contacted your local glass suppliers as they may be able to advise, or even have a glass polishing service.

You could pawn your wife's bracelet to cover the cost;)

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
No, that's why I said I couldn't recommend it, but the local glass suppliers should be able to advise.:)

·
Registered
144 Posts
As Woolyciv said dont try it yourself or you will distort the glass and end up with effect like a bottom of a glass coke bottle.
A mate of mine used these and it was an excellent repair . www.glasweld.info/

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting link Johnd, If I can't put up with it I might contact them, although I'm confused as to their claim .....

THE REPAIR WILL PROBABLY BE FREE!

There must be a catch somewhere lol :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Interesting link Johnd, If I can't put up with it I might contact them, although I'm confused as to their claim .....

THE REPAIR WILL PROBABLY BE FREE!

There must be a catch somewhere lol :)
Probably true. Most of these companies have an arrangement to claim the cost directly form your insurance company. It's most usually the windscreen, because that's mostly in the line of fire, but it applies to all glass on the car AFAIK. The quality of the repair is usually very good.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yes my thoughts but my windscreen excess is £50 so I'll try and out up with scratch for now
The insurance company doesn't normally charge the excess when the glass is repaired. It's far better for them to pay the small repair fee, than the far greater cost of replacing the glass.

So I guess waiving the £50 is to encourage a repair rather than a replacement. In any case, the repair is very unlikely to be as much as £50, even if you paid it yourself

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The insurance company doesn't normally charge the excess when the glass is repaired. It's far better for them to pay the small repair fee, than the far greater cost of replacing the glass.

So I guess waiving the £50 is to encourage a repair rather than a replacement. In any case, the repair is very unlikely to be as much as £50, even if you paid it yourself

Good point :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts