2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, and guyesses!

Have tried the Meguires Plastx on my scratched dash, it appears to be working.

But I poohed my pants when I rubbed the gel over the plastic :shock: . My microfibre was turning blue as I did it.

I think I am worrying a bit too much, because the scratches are going, although a haze has been left on the surface of the plastic.

Think what is needed now is to give the area I have done a going over with some detailer, or some wax to remove the haze.

Im very much of the opinion that perhaps we should flood Honda UK Cutomer Services with complaints about this, the material is too soft to maintain properly without scratching, not fit for purpose I would almost venture in saying????? A bit like using chocolate to make a fire guard!!!!!!!

Anyway, I will try and buff up the haze on the plastic when I get home from work tonight with some detailer/wax, so I will probably have another update on how Im getting on first thing in the morning when I get into the office.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Are you able to post any before & after pictures? Thanks for the update!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fedorov,

unfortunately not, because of the reflectivity of the plastic I cannot pick up the detail.

Sorry mate.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I had the same problem with the plastic polish that I used. ( I can't find the link at the moment but my write up is somewhere on this forum).
I also found that the polish removed the colour leaving a milky finish to the dash. My solution was to polish it with Mr Sheen, which immediately brought back the colour. You can still see a slightly milky surface in certain lights, but overall not too bad.
I agree that the plastic is very soft and am certainly not going to use a scratch removing polish again.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE No2

Well folks had another go over with the Plastx polish last night.

Im quite pleased with the results. It takes a lot of patience but in the end it does work.

You need to buff the plastic up quite a bit after with some wax but I think it does a good job.

I used one microfibre cloth to rub the polish in and another to wipe it off, then used two more microfibres to apply and buff off the wax.

In the bright sunshine today the dash looks nicer than it did yesterday so Im much happier.

May give it another light go with the Plastx again this weekend as only have a few minor blemishes left now.

My advice is dont go too mad with the Plastx as it what I think happens is as the microabrasive particles in the gel break down they get more difficult to remove from the plastic.

Just out of interest folks, I emailed a complaint to Honda UK Customer Services yesterday about the unsuitable material the dash is made of, so watch this space.

Also emailed my local Honda dealer for a price to supply and fit a replacement dash around the rev counter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mr Loveddog, can you confirm, is it just the plastic on either side of the steering wheel you are doing or have you tried the clear part in front of the rev counter?
Thanks
Neil

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nelly67,

its the plastic either side of the steering wheel.

Im very pleased with the results of what I have done so far.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nelly67,

I think it would be ok, i got some on the clear screen when I was doing the blue plastic and it cleaned off fine.

The products is actually designed for clear plastic parts on cars like plastic windows, head lights as well as motor bike fairings.

·
Registered
65 Posts
See my cunning plan on Jack's posts commencing 8th June 08.;)
I have already seen.:) At the moment i have replaced my original dash with a TYPE R one and it is very good. I like the R dash very much. The dust is not visible and even e you feel that you need to clean her you can do that without thinking on scratches (unless you clean her with a knife :D).

My major problem know is the big rev plastic. It was replaced at one month and have cleaned that plastic once and some scratch are already visible.
For that I'm affrayed there is no solution. We cannot paint, polish ...

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
All anyone of us can do with the clear plastic over the dials SMRocket, is to give it a "Huff and a Puff" by mouth.:)
HONDA, - THE POWER OF SCREAMS.

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,813 Posts
I followed JTL's lead :

Brasso (light rubbing circular motion - J-Cloth on finger)
Wet wipe off before it dries
Meguiars ScratchX (different J-Cloth)
Turtle Wax ICE (Meguiars Polishing Cloth)

Perfectly scratch free piece of plastic for me :D

Took about 2 hours

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was clearing out the garage tonight and found some black turtle wax colour magic polish from my last car. I thought I would give it a go on the black bits because they was that badly scratched I had nothing to loose. Only spent about 10 to 15 mins polishing it and it came up perfect!! Couldnt belive it took so little effort :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
hello everyone i have used mr sheen polish on my dash and it works very well. like you say it does leave a haze so i used a vileda cloth and it took the haze off.i also use the vileda cloth on the clear plastic only after i washed and dried the cloth that works very well on the clear plastic.

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,813 Posts
Since doing mine the sun has caught it a few times at what would have been the wrong angle and I can confirm that my version of the solution has worked - it's just a smooth piece of dark plastic now with no scratches.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts