2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks.

I noticed the ease at which the plastic scrathes on the surrounds of the rev counter and speedo. In my opinion it is a very poor choice of material for an area of the car that attracts dust and therefor will require cleaning regularly.

It appears as though the material they have used may be polyolefin, a very soft material that is easily recyclable at the end of the vehicles life, this material is being used more and more by manufacturers so they can claim that more of their cars can be recycled.

Anyway, after doing a bit of digging around I have ordered some Meguires Plastx plastic cleaner and polish from ebay, there are other plastic polishes on ebay, but I trust Megs products. Im going to give it a try to see if I can get rid of the blemishes I have which includes fine scratches and blotches which look like the plastic has oxidised in a similar way to the solid paint systems used on older cars.

My only option if this doesnt work is to get the whole lot replaced, and then just leave it the hell alone.

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Hi Mr L, use Megiars myself. Very good results, especially their 'Tyre Gel'. Goes on easy with the sponge applicator, so no overspray on wheels or ground, and the shine lasts ages. Their 'Gold Class' polish and 'Quik Detailer' are good and I notice they now do an 'Interior Detailer' which you might try if the 'Plastx' doesn't work.

Let us know how you get on, please.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
I think that sooner or later everyone will encounter this problem with the Civic's dash. So, let us know how you get on, please!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I collected my car today with a few scratches on the dash. The plastic must be so soft as it appears to scratch by dust alone - not a very durable material in my humble opinion.

Well, having had the car for a few hours I'm not sure whether to contact the dealer tomorrow, as if I leave it longer they might blame it on me :(

The thing is I don't want to be a nuisance but then I don't want a new car with scratches on the dash either.

When I asked the sales manager what should I use to clean the dash as its prone to scratching, he said I've not heard that one, never had a problem with scratches on the dash - I'd use a clean cloth and glass cleaner - but nothing abrasive though!

Got into the car and drove home, on route I could see a few light scratches where someone had polished the dash :cry:

Quick call tomorrow me thinks - I'd like to get the opaque panels (either side of the transparent section) replaced. Do you agree?

B.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Yup, I had mine all replaced about a month ago, mine had been in the bodyshop to get a paint chip fixed on the pillar near the driver side mirror, it had been there since I picked it up but I'd left it a few weeks awaiting call from sales to see how everything was and I was waiting to give them a list, I never got the call so it became a little awkward because I'd left it so many weeks and there was of course argument to say that it was a stone chip through me driving it for 3 weeks..... they at least agreed to sort it.

Picked it up on the teatime, I inspected as much of the interior/exterior as I could on the forecourt, 10 minutes later as I stopped on my drive I notice all these scratches all over the dashboard, left and right side abrasive fine marks - even worse the clear plastic in front of the rev counter had like a zig-zag pattern of what looked like a polish or cleaning agent left behind - I took this off with a soft lens-cleaner cloth to discover scratches on there as well, called the dealer immediately yet still got questioned and suspicions as to whether all these scratches had been done by myself, the fact that I'd called within 15 minutes of collecting it from them and reporting all these scratches.....

Get it sorted by your dealer asap, the longer you leave it the more likely they will question whether you did it yourself....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My bottle of Plastx arrived in the post this morning. Going to give it a try on the scratched case and screen of my mobile phone before letting it lose on the plastic on my car.

Will report back as soon as I have had a play.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quick update people.

Have tried the Plastx on my plastic mobile phone screen this morning.

Its seems to be very gentle in its polishing action.

I can see a visual improvement to the screen.

Yes the screen on my phone is a lot harder than the plastic in my car so it is taking quite a few applications to get rid of the scratches, so I will probably have to be more careful when I try it on the dash.

Standby for another update people!!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I found this a huge problem with mine, particularly when the sun hits it. I tried some plastic polish which got rid of some of the bigger scratches but put more smaller ones into the surface. I totally agree with the poor choice of material comment

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have used wipes for TV screens, seem to have a mall amount of alcohol in and dry smear free, plus do not seem to scratch.

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
I'm just gonna stump up the 80 quid and have a Type R dash I think, I'm just getting tired of cleaning that crappy material.

Tom

·
Registered
2 Posts
xerapol plastic arcylic scratch remover polish

hi, i had a cleaning problem with my instrument cluster,:mad: i used xerapol worked wonders all the haze and scratches disappeared, looks just like new now but the purple coating has gone. any ideas

·
more torque than the mrs
6,793 Posts
hi, i had a cleaning problem with my instrument cluster,:mad: i used xerapol worked wonders all the haze and scratches disappeared, looks just like new now but the purple coating has gone. any ideas
very old post but never mind, if you have removed the bluey purple coating off the speedo section you will require a new one as this is an anti glare coating i had a new one fitted at the garages expense because they scratched it while cleaning it cost £76.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts